Thursday, February 2, 2017

A Writer's Friend #MFRWauthor Blog Challenge

My journey as a writer has meant acquiring some great writer friends. As the years have passed, I have come to think of some of them as family. Unfortunately, a few of my closest friends were taken from this life far too early, but I still have reminders of them in the way of gifts and photos in my writing cave. They are never far from my thoughts.

I think a good friendship with another writer is so important because who understands you better than a fellow writer? Of course, writing tends to be such a solitary endeavor that friends that understand writing are a necessity. You need someone you can relate to and vice versa. So there are a few things I feel are super important when it comes to being a writer's friend whether you are a writer yourself or someone who knows a writer.

Nothing is more important to a writer than to have the support of family and friends. A little support is such a precious thing and it requires so little of you. Always offer encouragement, praise or sympathy depending on the situation because we all go through times when we need these things.  At home, do your part to see that a writer has time alone to write. You can't imagine how much that will be appreciated. 

Be a positive cheerleader. I have to say I have a small group of true friends who are great cheerleaders. They always lift me up. They have been there to congratulate me and console me when I needed it. Looking back, much of what I've learned and accomplished as a writer has not been without the help of fellow writers and fans. Some I have never met. But they willingly helped me by hosting me on their blogs, helping with promotion and sharing their knowledge of publishing. 

Make suggestions rather than handing out advice. Don't be discouraging. Just because a writer isn't writing the kind of story you write or the kind you read doesn't make their work invalid or any less important or marketable. Don't be judgmental or jealous. All writers, regardless of how they have published their books or the success they've had, have worked long, hard hours completing their books and have spent even more time with the publishing and promoting process. Most of them have devoted a good part of their life to this endeavor. Always respect that sacrifice regardless if you think their books are crap or the best thing you've ever read. 

Always be the kind of friend that you would want to have. It's those friends who are always remembered in the dedication of books and in the heart. 

This is a blog hop: Find other participants at MFRW Blog Challenge







~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Valentine's Day Sale!  One Week in Your Arms 99¢  http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A4APIS4/

9 comments:

erica and christy said...

I agree! I think most writers are very genuinely helpful and supportive. My colleagues, friends, and family have surprised me with their support and enthusiasm toward my book lately. :) Best, Christy

Patricia Preston said...

Christy, Thanks for your support!

Cathy Brockman said...

Great posts. I have a few that are my rocks.

Patricia Preston said...

Me too, Cathy!

Linda McLaughlin said...

Fantastic post, Patricia! You are so right on about what writers need from their friends. Most of my friends are writers and they are what keeps me going.

Heather Boyd said...

Well said Patricia. Feeling included, having a chance to be heard by family and friends in similar situations make the writing life less lonely.

Trevann said...

So true. I was astonished when I learned how generous of heart andbtime must writers are. I'm glad to be a part of this community.

Kenzie Michaels said...

I definitely agree! Too often I've come across other authors who view those who write the same genre as 'competition'; I say the more supportive we are of each other, the better we'll do collectively. Cross-promotion is a wonderful way of supporting each other. If I come across someone who doesn't like what I write, I ask them what genre they do like, then if I've read anything close, I'll point them to that author's site or book.

For introverts, sometimes it's easier to promote someone else's work than our own, lol....

Patricia Preston said...

Trevann, Heather, Linda and Kenzie: Thanks for stopping by and lending your support to me as well as other writers!!! Big Hugs.