Saturday, January 28, 2017

#SaturdaySpotlight: Some Kind of Magic by @MaryAnnMarlowe #NewRelease Jan 31 @KensingtonBooks


SOME KIND OF MAGIC
Marlowe makes a name for herself in this hilarious and sexy debut, the first in a planned series. It’s filled with frisky sex scenes set to the backdrop of rock music, and Marlowe makes the chemistry scientific and literal in this fun read. --Booklist

Biochemist Eden Sinclair has no idea that the scent she spritzed on herself before leaving the lab is designed to enhance pheromones. Or that the cute, grungy-looking guy she meets at a gig that evening is Adam Copeland. As in the Adam Copeland international rock god and object of lust for a million women. Make that a million and one. By the time she learns the truth, she s already spent the (amazing, incredible) night in his bed.

Suddenly Eden, who’s more accustomed to being set up on disastrous dates by her mom, is going out with a gorgeous celebrity who loves how down-to-earth and honest she is. But for once, Eden isn’t being honest. She can’t bear to reveal that this overpowering attraction could be nothing more than seduction by science. And the only way to know how Adam truly feels is to ditch the perfume—and risk being ditched in turn.

Excerpt:

Adam leaned in and asked, “So what do you do? Are you a musician, too?”
 “Actually, no. I’m a biochemist.  My company’s developing a perfume.”
“What’s it like?”
I scooted over. “I’m wearing it. Can you smell it?”
He met me halfway, eyes dilating black. I knew I shouldn’t be flirting. He didn’t appear to meet a single one of my criteria and, in fact, actively ticked boxes from the “deal-breaker” list. I didn’t want to lead him on only to have to give him the heave-ho in the next thirty minutes.
He lifted my wrist up to smell the fragrance Thanh had given me. “Mmm. That’s nice.”
Then he brushed his lips across my skin, and an electric current shot up every nerve in my arm. I drew my hand back, shrugging off the shiver that hit me like an aftershock.
“And you? What do you do?”
He laughed and scratched the back of his neck. “Well, I’m a musician.”
I blinked back my disappointment.
On my list of suitable professions for my prospective mate, musician wasn’t at the absolute bottom.  There were plenty more embarrassing or unstable career choices.  I wouldn’t date plumbers or proctologists for obvious reasons.  Salesmen either because, well, I didn’t like salesmen, but also because their financial situation might be uncertain.  Plus they tended to travel.  My ideal guy, I’d decided, would be an architect. 
I had nothing against musicians.  On the contrary, I loved them.  I’d supported my brother in his career, but the lifestyle was too precarious for my peace of mind.  Even the most talented had a hard time making ends meet.  Traveling and selling merchandise became a necessity. 
Unfortunately, all the doctors, lawyers, and architects I encountered were usually not interested in jean-clad, concert T-shirt wearing me. This train of thought brought me around to the realization I’d judged Adam for dressing exactly the same way.
Micah saved me from sticking my foot in my mouth when he appeared at our side.
“Adam! I’m glad to see you here. I see you’ve met my sister.” He turned to me. “Eden, do you mind if I steal him for a few?”
Adam threw me a glance. “Will you be here when I get back?”
The jolt of butterflies this simple question gave me came wholly unexpected. “I’ll be here. I’m leaving when Micah does.”
He flashed a crooked smile at me, and I traced his lips with my eyes. He was going to be trouble.

Buy links:
Penguin Random House Audio: http://bit.ly/2feO8ey

Thanks for stopping by!!! Learn more about Mary Ann and her books at maryannmarlowe.com




No comments: