Sunday, December 11, 2016

#SundaySnippet from "More Than a Gift" #ChristmasFun

Today I'm posting a snippet from my new short story, "More Than a Gift." Holly, who is at the mall shopping for a gift for her boss, has run into a charming Santa and she's explaining why she doesn't like Christmas.

I shook my head as we walked down the center aisle of the mall. “Christmas is depressing. The traffic is terrible. You have to kill to find a parking space. And think of the poor parents who have to fight each other to get that one toy every kid wants.”
Santa nodded.
“And when it comes to Christmas decorations,” I pointed at the assortment of decorations for sale in a store window, “they’ve been on display since September in some stores. By the time Christmas gets here, you’re sick of seeing the stuff. The same goes for the music that they start playing before Thanksgiving. They shove Christmas down your throat.
“And for what?” I ranted. “Just who has one of those Hallmark moments on Christmas morning? I don’t. The only good thing about Christmas is the relief you feel when it’s over.”
“You got dumped on Christmas, didn’t you?”
“Yeah, I did.”
“I got dumped on Valentine’s Day.”

There's a little romance in the air! See how it works out for Holly and if Santa can change her mind about Christmas. 99 cents.  http://ow.ly/QdWh306zw8y
Reviews are always appreciated!

I'm hoping you have a great week! Check back tomorrow for a week of Christmas Confessions featuring Heather Hiestand, Katherine Bone, Pat Esden, Brenda Sparks, and Kate Moore.  

12 comments:

Aurora Springer said...

Ah - common ground. He guessed quickly.

Patricia Preston said...

Hi Aurora! Thanks for stopping by! Yeah, they have some common ground.

Linda said...

Hahaha "you got dumped on Christmas", I'm not sure it's that obvious because she has a lot of real point here.

Veronica Scott said...

How very ironic that he got dumped on Valentine's! Quite a true life conversation they're having, enjoyed the snippet (even if I am a staunchly "Hallmark moment" type of Christmas person - I love it all. Well, maybe not the shopping LOL.)

P.T.Wyant said...

Fun snippet. I love her rant -- and his understanding of it.

Patricia Preston said...

Linda: Thanks for stopping by. I think she has a point, too. There were some things before this that led up to his remark.

Patricia Preston said...

Veronica: Hi! Hope you are doing good this holiday! She becomes kinda a Hallmark person by the time the story ends.

Patricia Preston said...

Thank you, PT for coming by and commenting! Happy Holidays!

Elaine Cantrell said...

So they already have something in common. Nice.

Patricia Preston said...

Hi Elaine! Yeah, that's a great way to look at it.

Ed Hoornaert said...

I love how Santa zoomed right in on the fact that she was dumped on Christmas.

Patricia Preston said...

Hi Ed! You're right!