Tuesday, September 27, 2016

#Interview with author @AnnaMarkland

Today, I'm welcoming Anna Markland to my blog.  Anna's page-turning adventures have earned her a place on Amazon’s All-Star list.


Besides writing, I have two addictions-crosswords and genealogy, probably the reason I love research. I am a fool for cats. My husband is an entrepreneur who is fond of boasting he’s never had a job.I live on Canada’s scenic west coast now, but I was born and raised in the UK and I love breathing life into the history of my homeland. Escape with me to where romance began.


Was your road to publication a delightful stroll in the park or a tiring jog over hot coals?
I was fortunate that just as I was embarking on efforts to get my first series published, Amazon invented the kindle and the Direct Publishing program. It was a leap of faith to go the indie route, but I’ve never looked back.

Where is your favorite place to write?
We recently moved into a waterfront condo and I have found the best place to write is a little office nook in the kitchen (of all places). I can swivel my chair around to look at the ocean if I wish, but it’s not a constant distraction. I often find that watching moving water is very helpful in resolving plot issues, etc.

What is the most difficult for you to write:
Characters, conflict, emotions? The most difficult scenes for me to write are those involving intimacy, so I guess I’ll have to say emotions. But the difficulty lies in trying to gauge each character’s reactions to sexual intimacy because we are all unique in that regard.

Do you have critique partners?
Yes. I have four critique partners, all published authors. Sylvie Grayson, Reggi Allder, LizAnn Carson and Jacquie Biggar. The neat thing for me is that none of them write medieval so it’s a different perspective on my work. We meet once a month and normally talk about everything under the sun, and we laugh a lot! We do the actual critiquing on line. Each partner sends what amounts to a chapter at a time at whatever speed they want to submit, and you can critique as many of the submissions as your schedule permits.

Classic Novel you would like to see turned into a movie?
A Tale of Two Cities (Dickens) is my all-time favorite book, and it was probably made into a movie years ago. To be honest, I often find making a movie or TV series of a book spoils it for me. For example, I devoured the Outlander series when it first appeared, but I have an image of Jamie in my head that doesn’t correspond with the man in the TV series.

Do you believe in love at first sight?
Definitely. My heroes and heroines are often smitten as soon as they set eyes on each other. To quote Jane Austen, “The very first moment I beheld him, my heart was irrevocably gone.”

Tell us a little about your WIP.
I’ve just finished a medieval series, The Von Wolfenberg Dynasty. Book III, Faithful Heart, will be available Sept. 26th. It’s up for preorder now at 99 cents for a limited time. The three books follow the children of characters from an earlier book. I tend to follow families in my series. I guess it’s the amateur genealogist in me. Konrad is the youngest of three sons.

Favorite romance movie? Splendor in the Grass (not strictly a romance I know)

Tropical or European vacation? I lived in Panama for a while and discovered I am not a person to live happily in the tropics. I am fortunate now to live in the only sub-tropical area of Canada, and to be frank, I am so content here I have lost my wanderlust.

What advice would you give aspiring authors? Go indie.


When all hope seems lost…
Destined from childhood to follow his vocation to become a priest, Konrad has lost his faith and no longer believes in God. It’s a precarious predicament in a medieval world dominated by the Church. Disillusioned by war, he wanders Europe in search of himself. Seeking redemption through a crusade against slavery, he becomes a pirate with the goal of seizing ships that carry human cargo.


Zara Polani is a successful woman of commerce, mistress of a Venetian fleet.  Konrad is drawn to her, but her vessels often transport slaves.  She will stop at nothing to protect her beloved ships.
https://amzn.com/B01LOO198C


Author Links: 
You can find me at my website and my Facebook page, Anna Markland Novels.

Tweet me @annamarkland, join me on Pinterest, or sign up for my newsletter.



2 comments:

Anna Markland said...

Thanks for having me as your guest, Patricia.

Patricia Preston said...

Anna: Glad to have you!