Friday, July 8, 2016

Ways to Make It Through the Dog Days of Summer



What are the dog days of summer? It is considered the hottest part of the summer from July 3 to August 11. Why is it called dog days? Sirius, the Dog star, rises at the same time as the sun during this time period and it's a time when it's so hot, it saps your energy. Usually, this time period is always associated with lethargy. I totally understand that. I went out today and even the wind was hot. Thank goodness for air conditioning. 


I'm one of these people who likes to be in an air conditioned place during the dog days. I don't do outdoor stuff. I did that one time on the fourth of July and never again. I thought I was gonna die from heat exhaustion, and it wasn't even worth it. I mean, it was just a bunch of people and kids running around an old historical courthouse, barbecue, vendors selling arts and crafts, political speaking, tribal dancers and some bluegrass music. I'm like I just wanna go home where's cool and never do this again.

But if you do get out or if you have children you are taking out for the day, remember to stay hydrated. Drink water and don't be too active. Avoid being outside in the middle of the day. Heat can kill you. Please remember to wear sunscreen whenever you're outside and put it on your kids. Especially the ears and the back of the neck. Wear a hat with a brim. Teach your kids to wear one. Years from now, you won't regret it. 

But if you're like me and don't want to be out in the heat, settle back with the A/C going and watch some good television or read a good book. Lyrical Press has a great giveaway going that features a cute backpack and eight print books. Check it out here: http://kensingtonbooks.tumblr.com/dateventure



No comments: