Monday, November 30, 2015

Meet the Author: Welcome Alice Orr #MondayBlogs

Happy Monday! This Monday I am featuring an interview with romantic suspense author, Alice Orr,
who has a new Christmas novella available.

She talks about writing as well as her husband of 43 years. And she even sent me a photograph of them back in the day! Weren't they a cute couple!!!
Question: It’s raining men. What kind of men?
That’s an easy one because I really love my husband Jonathan and my other answers will tell you why. I’m not saying we don’t squabble because we definitely do. Ask our neighbors. We are a couple with what a wise friend of mine calls “juice.” We’ve been married a long time – forty-three years this past September. I asked Jonathan the other night if he’d ever been bored. “Definitely not” was his answer. I feel the same. Which is why that man-rain would have to be pouring down guys that keep me interested the way my Handsome Jonny does. So why not just hang onto him?

When did I first realize I wanted to be a writer?
What truly counts is when I first was able to admit to myself I wanted to be a writer. Before that I kept it to myself even from myself. I figured it wasn’t possible so why hope for it and be disappointed with my life. Jonathan and I were living in Albany, New York when he asked me a question nobody had ever cared to ask before. “If you could do any kind of work in the world what would it be?” I remember that I broke down and cried. Then I told him I would be a writer. I expected him to be polite but not encouraging. I was wrong. He not only he encouraged me – he believed in me – long before I believed in myself. Everything that has happened since in my writing career began that autumn afternoon.

How do I de-stress?
This is a really good question for busy people in our busy world. This answer also has to do with Jonathan. We are both busy people. I’m a writer of course and up to my ears almost every day with everything that requires. Jonathan and I also run a contracting company – Orr and Orr Contracting LLC. We renovate and remodel mostly wealthy people’s places – right now on Park Avenue in Manhattan. That is definitely not our personal world but bless those folk for giving us work. At the end of the day the two of us are pretty much done-for stamina wise. So we retire to what Jonathan calls the Blue Beach. In other word atop the blue comforter on our big bed. We have supper there. We share the experiences of our day there. We watch TV there. Binge watch more and more lately. Because I love good storytelling and so does Jonathan who has always been the romantic hero of all my stories.

What do I hate to do most?
An easy one. I hate to WASH DISHES. You might say “Get a dishwasher” but we have a dishwasher. One that is way too big for two people. We don’t want to use all that hot water every day for our few pots and dishes. So we use the dishwasher for kitchen storage. We’re city folk after all and have to utilize every empty nook and cranny. But that doesn’t get those pesky dishes clean. You guessed it. Jonathan does the dishes. Our deal is as follows. I keep my hand off the dirty dishes and he keeps his hands off the cooking. Each person should do what he or she is good at and that man absolutely cannot cook. Thank heaven I can.

When somebody sends me flowers what should that bouquet be?
Only Jonathan gives me flowers and he could answer this easily. Don’t send me roses. I am a practical person and roses die too quickly. Even with sugar or plant food in the water and frequent spritzing too – those lovely blossoms of theirs fall over and fade faster than fast. I like my bouquets to stick around. So my choice is always whatever is seasonal. Right now in the fall I love colorful fall flowers – yellows and tones of rust and dark red. The kind they set out in green buckets in front of my favorite neighborhood florist shop. I’ve made certain Jonathan knows exactly where it is.

About Alice:

"Alice Orr is a brilliant writer who has a Number One bestseller hidden in her pocket. I look forward to more of her work," says one Amazon reviewer. I say “Thanks!” I love to write. Especially romantic suspense novels and blog posts. I’ve been a workshop leader, book editor and literary agent. Now I live my dream of writing full-time. I’ve published thirteen novels and four novellas – both traditionally and independently – plus a memoir so far. I wrote my nonfiction book, No More Rejections, as a gift to the writers' community I cherish. A revised edition is now in progress. Amazon says, "This book has it all." About my romantic suspense, Amazon says, "Alice Orr turns up the heat." Most of all, I like to hear from readers. Visit my website at www.aliceorrbooks.com. I have two grown children and two perfect grandchildren and I live with my husband Jonathan in New York City.
 

A VACANCY AT THE INN
Riverton Road Romantic Suspense Series Christmas Novella
Luke & Bethany’s Story by Alice Orr

On a cold December day Bethany Miller and her son Michael arrive in Riverton.

She grew up on Riverton Hill in remote upstate New York where her complicated family still lives. She moved away to escape all of that and more. Now she’s back because of complications in her present life with what is best for her son. She hopes the Miller family will be a Christmas blessing for Michael. She’s less hopeful about what this homecoming will be for her.

The last thing Bethany wants is further complication. That means the last person she needs to see is Luke Kalli staring down at her from the roof of Miller’s Inn. They shared a glorious connection before she fled from here. The power of that encounter and the deep feelings she experienced came at a tumultuous moment in her life. They were yet another strong reason to leave Riverton Hill on Riverton Road and never return – until today. She has no idea this place will put her son in peril.


A Vacancy at the Inn is the first Novella of the Riverton Road Romantic Suspense Series featuring the Kalli family and now the Miller family too in stories of Romance and Danger. A Wrong Way Home is Book 1 of the series. A Year of Summer Shadows is Book 2.  A Villain for Vanessa will be Book 3 – coming soon.
All titles are available at http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B000APC22E.




3 comments:

Kathye Quick said...

Alice you have been both my mentor and my inspiration. Mega sales to you. You and Jonathan look adorable. You haven't changed a bit. Love you

Patricia Preston said...

Thanks for stopping by, Kathye!

Alice Orr said...

Dear Kathye. You honor me with your words almost as much as you honor me with your friendship and support. The thing I love best about writing in the romance genre is all of us together and how we carry each other through. Blessings. Alice