Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Meet Marilyn Baxter and Celebrate her new release today!

In 2001, Marilyn discovered romance novels quite by accident, which led to a renewed interest in writing. She’s had over forty stories published in the confessions and romance magazines and taught a class in how to effectively write for this genre. She is a member of Romance Writers of America and her local RWA chapter, Heart of Dixie Romance Writers. Her involvement on the local and national levels has combined to give her a great love of the romance genre and to develop friendships that span the globe.

In addition to reading and writing, Marilyn loves to knit simple things, cook in the crockpot and garden in a few pots on her patio. Her motto is “Have passport, will travel,” and she recently added Ireland and Wales to the list of 32 states and 21 foreign countries she has visited.

 A native of North Carolina, she came to Huntsville, Alabama by way of Frankfurt, Germany. She has lived there longer than anywhere else and calls it home. After raising two great sons, she loves to dote on her two granddaughters. And somewhere amidst all the above, she fits in a day job as an administrative assistant for a boutique law firm.


If you could be any fictional character (books, movies) who would you be?

 Joan Wilder from Romancing the Stone.  Oh wait!  In a way I am Joan because I write romance novels.  But I haven’t had a wild adventure with a hot guy.  However there’s still time!

It’s raining men! What kind of men?

Only one – Hugh Jackman.  The man is an incredible performer.  He sings, dances and acts.  And he’s a good family man.  You don’t read negative things about him.  Alas, he is married, but should anything every happen to his wife (and I hope it doesn’t) he should know I’m here, waiting for him. ;-)

How do you de-stress?

Oh this one’s easy.  I get a massage.  Then I’m like a new woman until stress sets in again, and I get another massage.  I have a membership to a massage clinic so I get one a month.  I can’t say enough about the rejuvenating benefits of therapeutic massage.

What is your work schedule like when you're writing?  Schedule?  HA HA HA HA HA!  You’re kidding, right?  I have a day job and the stress levels with it alternate from not much stress at all to over-the-top stress.  I just have to go with the flow.  Some days I don’t write at all because by the time I get home, I have no brain cells left.  Other days, I come home, grab something for dinner and write til midnight.  My job is only part time – four hours every weekday afternoon.  So I am able to burn the midnight oil and then sleep late the next morning.

What do you like to do when you're not writing? 

I knit.  I don’t knit really fancy things.  But I find the repetition soothing and the end result rewarding.  I do a lot of scarves.  My church supports a Lakota mission in South Dakota and in December we decorate our Advent tree with socks and gloves and hats and scarves.  So I knit a lot for this tree.  I can rationalize watching Law & Order SVU, Bones, Major Crimes, CSI and Castle by doing so with needles and yarn in hand.  I also love to travel, and in 2013 I went to Ireland, Wales and England with a group of friends who also happen to be writers.  It was AWESOME!  I saw Stonehenge, visited Buckingham Palace and, yes, I kissed the Blarney Stone.

Have you ever suffered from a "writer's block"? What did you do to get past the "block"? 

Sadly, yes.  I went through a divorce several years ago and the stress of that blocked me completely.  My muse bought a one-way ticket to Lord knows where and I could not coax her back.  I could barely write a coherent grocery list during this time.  I also couldn’t concentrate long enough to read a chapter in a book.  I used to read 6-8 books a month.  During that year I think I read 9 books all year.  For this block, I just had to wait it out until life settled down and I got into the swing of my new life as a single person.  I still get blocked from time to time, but now I can get unblocked by writing something else, having a Hugh Jackman movie marathon on the DVD player, watching loads of documentaries on Netflix or picking up a good romance novel.

If you were going to cast the hero of your book, what actor would get the part?  Guess!  HA!  I actually used Hugh Jackman as the inspiration for Direct Deposit.

Thanks for a great interview, Marilyn!! Now, more about her new release:


Direct Deposit by Marilyn Baxter, available Jan 20, 2015 from Boroughs Publishing Group.  Also available at Amazon, B&N and other major retail sites (e-book only).

Successful family law attorney Maddie Prescott is driven to succeed.  She was a pawn in her parents’ messy divorce and has devoted her career to representing children in court.  Her husband’s early death, however, has made her realize she can’t have it all and she calls the sperm bank for a withdrawal.  One advantage to single parenthood is her child will never be a pawn.

Jack Worth promised his dying best friend that he’d look out for his wife – a small price to pay when Alex kept him out of jail after a teenage prank and then mentored him to success.  His own illegitimacy makes him question Maddie’s baby plans, but his promise prompts him to volunteer to be the sperm donor.  When Maddie’s job is threatened because of their decision, Jack modifies the offer and suggests a marriage of convenience complete with a direct deposit.

No hearts will be involved and no strings are attached, but neither counted on falling in love.
Twitter:  @marilyn_baxter
Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/marilyn.baxter.372


2 comments:

Marilyn Baxter said...

Thanks for hosting me today. You're the epitome of southern hospitality. :-)

Patricia Preston said...

Yes, I know! :)