Saturday, December 6, 2014

Weekend Writing Warriors Dec 7 To Save a Lady #4

It's time for Weekend Writing Warriors (http://www.wewriwa.com/). This week's snippet is from my new release, To Save a Lady, a historical romance set in New Orleans. 


Set up: The heroine, Elise, is waiting in Louis Beauvais's study. Beauvais is the cunning gentleman who has promised to help her find Madame's missing son. 

Although she wore a hand-me-down pelisse over her muslin dress, she felt a chill as she glanced around his large and elaborate study.
The brass candelabras barely gave the cavern of a room enough light. With its gilded cornices, heavy brocade draperies, and gleaming mahogany furniture, the study exemplified great wealth and terror. Ancient spears, battle-axes, and curved swords decorated the dark red walls.
A stale scent gave her the shivers, and she could have sworn it was the stench of blood that had once covered the weapons.
Hinges creaked as one of Beauvais’s footmen pushed open the thick study doors for his master. Beauvais strode into the room, floorboards moaning beneath his steps. As always, he was dressed in quiet black with no flourishes.


        A move from Paris to New Orleans brings disaster to Elise Plaisance’s predictable life as a lady’s maid. The son of her grief-stricken mistress disappears, and Elise becomes involved in a dangerous masquerade when she turns to a devious gentleman for help finding the boy. Captain Jesse Cross has journeyed to New Orleans with General Jackson’s army, but his biggest battle is one of the heart when he falls for a French girl cloaked in mystery. With the city on the brink of war, their romance is born in the darkness of a moonlit courtyard and never meant to last forever. Deceived by an adversary and haunted by her tragic past, Elise must risk everything to rescue her mistress’s son before all is lost, and Jesse knows he has to stop her even if it means sacrificing his life to save a lady.

Amazon Link: http://amzn.to/1tz2HIq  
You can read Chapter 1 herewww.frenchquarterbrides.blogspot.com


Giveaway: In To Save a Lady, Jesse gives Elise a fleur de lis necklace on December 23rd, so I am going to do a drawing from my newsletter subscribers on the 23rd of December for a fleur de lis necklace.  Subscribe to my newsletter to be entered in the drawing. 

Thanks for stopping by and your comments are appreciated!! Please visit other participating authors at http://www.wewriwa.com/


12 comments:

Jennifer Reynolds said...

Beautiful descriptions. Love this line: A stale scent gave her the shivers, and she could have sworn it was the stench of blood that had once covered the weapons.

Patricia Preston said...

Hi Jennifer! Thanks for stopping by and I'm glad you liked my "creepy" descriptions. This was the first scene with Beauvais and I wanted to get across who he was.

Teresa Cypher said...

Simply excellent descriptions! So easy to visualize it, Patricia!

Patricia Preston said...

Teresa: Thanks! It was fun to write.

Charmaine Gordon said...

Description so fine, I found myself in the room with her. Thank you.

Victoria Adams said...

What a fabulous descriptive detail to add - the smell making her think of the blood that had been on the weapons.

Veronica Scott said...

WOW, I am so there with your heroine, thanks to the details of the scene! She's braver than I would be, visiting this person...excellent excerpt, can't wait for more!

frankmfisher.net said...

Very nice descriptions of the study. I especially like the "floorboards moaning".

Patricia Preston said...

Charmaine: Glad you stopped by! Glad I got across the room that was in my mind!

Patricia Preston said...

Victoria: Thanks! Yes, I was thinking of how the room would smell and I'm like why not use a play on the weapons.

Patricia Preston said...

Veronica: The scenes with Elise and Beauvais are all in his study. I'll have to post some clips from the other scenes.

Patricia Preston said...

Frank: I don't know where that came from but I thought it worked okay when I wrote it. :)