Saturday, December 20, 2014

Weekend Writing Warriors Dec 21st: To Save A Lady #6

Welcome to this week's Weekend Writing Warriors where authors gather to share snippets from their stories. Glad you have joined in! 

My snippet is from To Save A Lady. It's a few lines from a scene with the hero, Jesse, and his cousin, Lt. Bonnard Reid. Bonnard has found out that Jesse has finally seen the heroine without her silver mask and so he inquires about her looks. Jesse and Bonnard's scenes together were some of my favorite to write because they were so much fun. 

“Did she have a plain face?” Bonnard asked.
Straightening the stiff collar of his coat, Jesse replied, “That is none of your business.”
“You know, beauty isn’t everything. A good heart matters more, or that’s what Mother always said about girls who were plain.”
“I never said she was plain.” Jesse buttoned his coat. “She is no more plain than an early morning sunrise or meadow covered with wildflowers.”
“Dear Lord, all we need is a violin.”

Thanks for stopping by!  You can find snippets by other writers at http://www.wewriwa.com/
Also many of the authors will have genre initials by their name to help readers find the genres they prefer.

GIVEAWAY: During this week in New Orleans, in 1814, the city had been placed under martial law by General Jackson. There were a lot of unhappy citizens, especially my troubled heroine, Elise, in To Save a Lady, who is worried about her mistress and their fate, plus she's had to promise Jesse she will tell him the truth about who she really is when he returns from Fort Saint John.  He returns on the 22nd of December and on December 23rd, he gives her a fleur de lis necklace in anticipation of a romantic night. (Of course, not all goes as planned.) I wanted to do a giveaway for my newsletter subscribers that was connected to the book for December and decided a fleur de lis necklace would be perfect! If you would like to be entered in the drawing, sign up for my newsletter, and don't worry, I only send out newsletters regarding new releases, sales, or contests.

Also you can read Chapter 1: To Save A Lady 

22 comments:

P.T.Wyant said...

That last line cracked me up!

Iris Blobel said...

Hahaha .... Love it !

Teresa Cypher said...

lol! I LOVE their back and forth! Nicely done, Patricia! I can see why they were your favorite to write.

No snippet from me this week.

Have a Merry Christmas!

Emmy Gatrell said...

Love it! Can't wait to read more of these two! Fun!

Patricia Preston said...

Thank you, PT. Bonnard has some great lines! I can't wait to write a book with him as the main character.

Patricia Preston said...

Glad you enjoyed it, Iris.

Patricia Preston said...

Merry Christmas, Teresa! Glad you stopped by and liked my 2 officers.

Patricia Preston said...

Emmy: I will post more of them. They are fun.

Charmaine Gordon said...

Flawless dialogue and so amusing in keeping with the times.

Cecilia Corona said...

I absolutely loved the last couple lines. Love the dialogue. Great snippet.

Aheila said...

Wow! The last couple of lines are great. I love Jesse's poetic description and Bonnard's zinger is great.

Siobhan Muir said...

Ahahahaha! Love the last line...and I kinda feel the same. Nice snippet, Patricia. :)

Veronica Scott said...

I'm with everyone else - that last line is wonderful fun. Excellent excerpt, enjoying the story...

Kate Warren said...

Yes, we must have a violin! I can see why you had so much fun writing these two. :)

Sarah W said...

I love the back and forth here---they're obviously close enough to antagonize each other like brothers! :)

Bonnard sounds like he could use a romance of his own . . .?

E.E. Giorgi said...

aww, sweet and funny all in one! :-)

Patricia Preston said...

Thanks for your comments! I'm glad everyone is assumed by Bonnard. Imagine Chris Hemsworth in a uniform and you've got Bonnard. LOL! Sarah: I do plan for him to have a book. It's #3 of the series.

JTsuruoka said...

You do a great job of showing us a lot about these two in a very short space. Last line is a winner.

Patricia Preston said...

Thank you, JT!

Chelle Cordero said...

Very nice interplay between the two, it says lots about their relationship. Great intriguing snippet. And I really got a chuckle out of the last line.

christinaochs said...

I can see why you enjoy writing these two- they're fun to read as well!

Linda said...

Great last line! But he was the one asking for a better description.