Sunday, December 28, 2014

The Spice of Revision: The 1913 Webster's Dictionary by Keirsi from Pub Hub

There are many stages of the revision process.


1. Re-read your first draft and wonder what the hell you were smoking. Make sweeping changes, 
re-organize your manuscript, and eat some chocolate to recover from your trauma.

2. Get feedback. Drown in crushing self-doubt. Get a pep talk from a loved one. Go back to
 your manuscript and make a few more large changes to suit your well-meaning critics.

3. Probably get feedback again, or else lock yourself in a walled chamber and get food 
through a trap door on a plastic tray. Start fixing the pacing, dialogue, and sentence flow.

4. Give up on life after getting back a line-edited, change-tracked document from your
 most trusted compatriot. Have your faith in life re-invigorated by the realization that you
could die at any moment and wouldn't it be sad if you hadn't finished this book yet? 
Start fixing individual sentences. Seek out each phrase or word that just feels too plain or too cliché.

And that's when you hit the point I often do: what is another possible way I could say this? 

How can I pump up this ordinary description, this emotionless word, into something
that evokes the imagination of my reader, and pushes this manuscript to that 
next lofty level of awesome? 

Read the rest here at Pub Hub

***************************************************
I loved this post! I always find myself doing all these! Especially the drowing in self-doubt.
That's why I always keep chocolate in my house. 

I have been busy, creating my first newsletter, which goes out tomorrow. Congrats to
subscriber, JamesDean#1Fan, who won the fleur de lis necklace. 

I spent the weekend working on the final revisions of my next book. I had gotten behind due
to the holidays and now it is time to get this book done. My number one goal for the new 
year is to figure out a schedule and stick to it. That is much easier said than done!  If you 
have any tips, please pass them on. 

Happy New Year!!  


No comments: