Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Meet Debbie Herbert and her Mermaid Series!

Hi everyone! Today my guest is Debbie Herbert! She's a fellow Southerner, Alabama fan, and writer of mermaid romance. 

Thanks for having me here today, Pat! It’s been a busy week – book revisions due on one book and then – boom! – release day for another. But isn’t that the way it is for all writers? You could very well say that about any job. As soon as one deadline is met, another looms over your head. 
But I love writing and wouldn’t have it any other way. 
I thought I would round up some of the most common answers I get when people read my books or hear I write paranormal romance.

What am I working on?

I just finished the last book of my Dark Seas trilogy, published by Harlequin Nocturne.  Book two, Siren’s Treasure, was released Saturday and my last one, Siren’s Call, is scheduled for 2015. The books follow the lives of a secret mermaid clan that live deep in an Alabama bayou.

Currently, I’m writing chapter one of a fourth Harlequin book that will be a spin off from a character introduced in Siren’s Call.  Annie is the granddaughter of the mysterious witch Tia Henrietta.  She’s retreated to Bayou La Siryna to ask her grandmother for help in stopping the music she hears from other people’s auras. I’ve incorporated a Choctaw story of evil spirits that roam the south Alabama bayou and the hero in the book is a shadow/spirit hunter. 

How does my work differ from others of its genre?

My mermaid romances aren’t the usual sweet fantasy mermaids that are caricatures of the Disney ilk.  If I had to describe them in three words: Mermaids, Murder, Mayhem.

Most paranormal seems to be centered around vampires and werewolves, so choosing mermaids as a subject was a bit of a risk.  But, as every writer will tell you, the subject chose me, not the other way around!

Why do I write what I do?

I love paranormal romance – the idea that hidden worlds are just beyond our vision and comprehension.  And I love when characters, after trials and tribulations of course, earn their happily-ever-afters.

How does my writing process work?

I like to start with what I call the Big Premise idea.  From there, I develop characters to fit the plot and then storyboard the book’s chapters.  I’m somewhere between a pantser and a plotter – I make chapter notes, but usually end up not following them! 
I’d love to hear from other writers and readers.  Why do you like to read paranormal romance?  Why do you write the type of books that you do?
Again, many thanks to the fabulous Patricia Preston and much success on her just-rleased book.  Can’t wait to start reading it!

Want to connect?
Pinterest:  http://www.pinterest.com/alabamagirl3536/boards/
Google+: https://plus.google.com/+DebbieHerbert/posts
My web page: http://www.debbieherbert.com/ 


The Hunt for Red October meets paranormal as an FBI agent tries to prevent mermaid Jet Bosarge from becoming used by modern-day pirates attempting to locate the missing hydrogen bomb lost near Tybee Island, Georgia.  Can they work together and trust one another with their secrets?
Blurb
Mermaid Jet Bosarge should know better than to trust Perry.  He's charming and sexy and accepts her shapeshifting lifestyle, but he's used and betrayed her once before.  When modern-day pirates approach Perry and offer him a fortune to help recover a jettisoned H-bomb off the coast of Tybee, Island, Georgia--will he betray her again for a chance at the Ultimate Haul?
FBI Agent Landry Fields is interested in Jet's tax records as part of an investigation in an illegal maritime excavation ring.  Getting involved with her could ruin his career.  Besides, after the drama when his old girlfriend mysteriously disappeared years ago, Landry is more cautious than ever about falling for someone. 
In navigating between her two worlds, Jet must decide which man is her enemy and who might be her true love.  If she makes the wrong choice, the entire mermaid civilization is in danger of exposure and extinction.


I am so glad to have Debbie over today! And, I LOVE that cover! Let me know what you think of it. 


2 comments:

Debbie Herbert said...

Great to be here! Looking forward to reading your fabulous historical romance

Patricia Preston said...

Glad to have you!