Thursday, October 23, 2014

Canon PowerShot S2 IS: No Cost Quick Fix for Blank LCD Monitor

I have a Canon S2 that I've owned for several years. This week, all the sudden, the LCD screen goes black and any photos I took were blank. Just black images when I downloaded them. From what I read online, it does cost about $150 to get this fixed. I do have another camera and I'm not interested in putting that much money into this camera due to its age. Then, I ran across a little trick that does get the camera to working again. This is not like a permanent fix or it hasn't been for my camera, but the camera does work every time I do it and sometimes I can turn the camera on and off a few times before I get the black LCD screen again. Here's what you do:

This is how my camera looks when it isn't working. 

Keep camera on. Turn the Mode Dial to TV or Auto. I've
tried both and got the same result. 
Once you've done that, you need to slide the lock forward on the
battery cover. Just enough to that it shuts off the camera. Then
you press the battery cover closed and camera restarts. 
So far each time I've done this the
camera restarts with the LCD monitor working. 

And it takes photos just like always. 

The important thing seems to be sliding the battery cover lock slightly forward enough to shut off camera and then closing it so the camera restarts. I'm not a camera expert, so I have no idea if this will work for your camera or not. It has for mine.

Of course, you can't take spur-of-the-moment photos with it, unless you have it working and don't turn the camera off. I have turned my camera off, turned it on and it works. Other times, I have to do the battery cover unlock/lock to get the monitor working. 

So, if you're not looking to spend repair money on this model, but still want to use it, maybe this will be a way you can do that! 

No comments: