Saturday, August 30, 2014

The Best of Now and Here

No longer forward nor behind
I look in hope or fear;
But grateful, take the good I find,
The best of now and here
                                                                                   ~John Greenleaf Whittier


Whittier's verse says it all when it comes to life. Live in present. That sounds easy enough, yet nothing could be more difficult at times. Living in the present is one of my new goals and it isn't something that come easy. It is a struggle between the regrets of the past and the fear of what the future may bring. 

Whenever I feel myself falling into the abyss of the past or future, I stop and remind myself there is nothing that I can change about the past. Of course, there is a lot I'd love to change but nothing with the exception of time travel will alter the past. I do allow myself times to remember and I try to remember the good times. Yet, it is always the bad things that caused us pain that we remember most easily. You have to deal with painful memories or regrets by letting them pass through your mind without dwelling on them. They never go away, but they can be muted by a positive reaction. Yeah, that was a rough time but I have now. This moment and I can enjoy it if I choose. 

It is the same with the future. We worry about a future that we may never have. We concern ourselves more with the future and what we'll accomplish in the future more than what we are doing today. All we actually have is right now. Our future can change in a blink and we have no control over it. We would like to believe we have a secure future ahead but there is no such thing. So there is no point in fearing the future and what will happen to you. 

Instead, think of the moment at hand and revel in it. Do something you enjoy. Something positive and productive. Make yourself a better person. Smarter. Happier. Do something to improve your life and the lives of your friends and family. Make the day you've been given count. 

If you can master living in the present, it will make the future something to look forward and give your past a good memory! 

No comments: