Saturday, October 6, 2012

Six Sentence Sunday: Oct 7

Happy Halloween Month!

I decided to do another snippet from a WIP featuring Darlene. She hopes a passing motorist would offer help getting her car started. She and Tommy Ray are walking down the deserted road into town for help when a weird guy in a rusty truck stops and warns them about what is ahead. 

      “This here ain’t the road to Tupelo.” He shifted gears in the old rattletrap. “It’s the road to hell."
         I stuck my middle finger in the air as he drove away, smoke rolling out of the truck's tailpipe.  "You need to take your bug-eyed, lunatic self to the insane asylum at Whitfield," I shouted.
         "Darlene, if this is the road to hell, maybe we best turn around," Tommy Ray said.

Hope everyone is having a great fall day! You can find more Six Sentence Sunday authors at www.sixsunday.com  (Some snippets are suitable for adults only.)  

Thanks for stopping by and your comments are appreciated!  

24 comments:

sabrinagarie.com said...

The dialogue is just wonderful. It really reveals context and character. Well done. Great six.

Taryn Kincaid said...

Tommy Ray is a pip! So funny!

Patricia Preston said...

Sabrina: Thanks for stopping by!
Taryn: He is fun to work with.

elingregory said...

Tommy Ray sounds like he has the right attitude. Bet Darlene takes no notice of him - that's the way to get good plot. :)

K.E. Saxon said...

Uh-oh. Sounds like calamity's just around the corner, because it's clear as crystal that Darlene's in charge of the group. Great six! Can't wait to see where this goes.

Veronica Scott said...

I love your characters and I surely would listen to Tommy Ray! Fun six, wonder what happens next LOL...

Virginia Kelly said...

Oh, funny! Not the road to Tupelo, but the road to hell. Love it!

S. J. Maylee said...

Great advice, Tommy, but part of me doesn't want her to listen. :) Fun dialogue, fabulous 6.

Dara said...

I love the wit and humor you created here, even in the midst of a serious situation! Well done!

Vivien Dean said...

Great, natural dialogue. Well done!

Patricia Preston said...

It was great to come home to such terrific comments. The encouragement is much appreciated at this time in my life.

Tonya Burrows said...

Hmm, road to hell huh? Now I'm intrigued.

Sue Ann Bowling said...

Now was the guy in the rusty truck speaking metaphorialy, or literally?

Patricia Preston said...

Sue Ann: Literally, in a way.

Eleri Stone said...

When did Tommy Ray become so sensible?

Elaine Cantrell said...

Old Tommy Ray is on the ball. Nice excerpt.

Carrie Crain said...

Goodness gracious, these two are A+dorable. I know I will smile wide visiting your blog. Great six as always!

Donna Cummings said...

I love these characters. And I love that Darlene doesn't hold back. LOL Great fun.

Patricia Preston said...

Carrie: Next time I may do something serious and shock everybody.

Pippa Jay said...

If it's the road to hell, what was the insane guy doing on it! O.o

Heather Boyd said...

Such vivid dialogue. Great six.

patonlorraine said...

LOL! Wow, great dialogue! I love Tommy Ray's response. :)

Jenna said...

God, I love these three! I'm thinking, however, Darlene isn't going to be persuaded. "A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do." :) Can't wait for this to release.

Patricia Preston said...

Jenna: Darlene says Thanks!!