Saturday, October 20, 2012

Six Sentence Sunday Oct 21 The Yard Sale


The fall is a great time for a yard sale. There were dozens of them this weekend, so I decided to post a snippet from my short story, The Yard Sale, available now on Amazon for 99 cents. This snippet featuring the main character, Jennifer, is a little bit on the serious side but, overall, "The Yard Sale" is a fun story with a happy ending. 

The men, who’d arrived in the F-150, bought an old computer desk, an armchair, and a chest of drawers. I made my first hundred dollars on that sale. As Early Birds continued to make purchases, I took in bills, gave back change, and I did each transaction with a big smile.

But, to be honest, this yard sale was the culmination of my shattered life.

Amid the possessions I had for sale were wedding gifts, vacation souvenirs, and birthday presents from Clint. The past seven years of my failed marriage surrounded me

Also, I'm posting the alternative cover for "The Yard Sale," which is a favorite of mine. If you would like to discover other authors, check out www.sixsunday.com . Some snippets may not suitable for all ages.


10 days to Halloween!!

16 comments:

Pat Trainum aka P. T. Bradley said...

I love that story.

Heather Boyd said...

It's good to get rid of things that make you sad. Great six!

Jessica Subject said...

Such a sad six. Well done in conveying the emotion! :)

Patricia Preston said...

At least I know I do sad well. Actually, it is a fun story.

Gayle said...

Well, at least she's making some cash. :)

K.E. Saxon said...

I've got this one on my cloud drive, too! One of these days, I'm going to get to read all the books I buy, LOL! I did at least get a chance to START Almost An Outlaw, though, and really enjoying it.

This is actually a very poignant six. Poor gal. Good that she got some $$ right off the bat, though. Great six!

Susanna Fraser said...

Great six--and I hope she finds that clearing out all the physical reminders of her ex helps clear him out of her life, too.

Veronica Scott said...

This is such an excellent story - very true to life excerpt!

patonlorraine said...

Oh... What a difficult situation. I feel for her! Great six.

Kate said...

That's sad, but maybe it will help with the moving on part. And the cash can't hurt, right?

Virginia Kelly said...

And she's selling the those things. IMO, a great idea. Very nice.

Kate said...

Hi Patricia! Love your six, and particularly like how you weave in her backstory here. Very nice!

S. J. Maylee said...

Imaging all the things one could have in an "I failed" yard sale, yikes. I want to give her a hug. But she's selling them off, what a fab idea. Hope she's able to let them go once they're gone. Intriguing 6.

elingregory said...

So sad, but very well described.

Patricia Preston said...

Besides Early Birds, Tightwads and Packrats, Prince Charming shows up and Jennifer gets a happy ending.

Sue Ann Bowling said...

At least people are coming and buying.