Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Doo Wah Diddy: The Magic of Music

I'm listening to Oldies on Pandora and they just played Doo Wah Diddy. That old song is fun and lively and guaranteed to lift your spirits. I think that is the great thing about music. It has such power over the emotions. It can make you smile or break your heart.

For me, listening to music is a part of life. I listen to music when I drive, when I clean house, when I write. Music is memories. Certain songs will bring back the past.  All of us have songs that we loved in our teen years, in our twenties and so on. There are even songs that we hope will be played at our funerals.

For writing, I love instrumental music, which forms something of a soundtrack for the story I'm writing at the time. Music always triggers my imagination so I usually turn the music on first. This is during the creative phase of the story. When I let the magic of the music help create the story. Many times, during the revision process, I don't have any music playing because I'm actually listening to the words now. I don't think I've ever written anything without music. It is an integral part of my process. Music is part of what transports me to the story world.

Even if I didn't write, I would still listen to music every chance I got. I would still sing and dance and celebrate that I live in a world where music fills the air. We are blessed!

So click below to listen to Manfred Mann and have some fun bopping around the room, singing doo wah diddy diddy dum did do...


2 comments:

BECKY said...

Oh, Patricia! I'm just like you! Music everywhere, almost all the time, except when my husband thinks we need the TV on 24 hours a day!
The only music I can write to is instrumental, otherwise I start singing along in my head, and can't concentrate on my writing.
Have you seen the movie Stripes, with Bill Murray? It's a comedy about some goofy guys in the military and they sing Doo Wah Diddy sometimes when they're marching! Funny movie!

Patricia Preston said...

Yes, I saw that movie years ago when it came out but I didn't remember the marching scene. I hate having the TV on unless I'm watching a show.