Saturday, September 22, 2012

Six Sentence Sunday 9-23 Darlene is back!

Hey, I remembered to sign up this week and I'm posting a snippet from my WIP, Haints in Hollywood, which features Darlene, Richie and Tommy Ray from "Laid to Rest." In this story, they get stranded in a haunted house and Darlene has to tangle with some unfriendly spirits. The snippet is from the beginning where their car breaks down at night on a lonely road that leads to a Mississippi ghost town called Hollywood.

Darlene and Tommy Ray are going to walk into town and Richie is staying behind with car. Darlene lets him know about her guns

     “Oh, if you need it, there’s a sawed-off shotgun and a box of shells under the front seat."
            “You gotta a shotgun in the car?” Richie asked, his eyes wide like he'd never heard of such.
            “Sure I do. I also have a rifle in the trunk and a thirty-eight special in here.” I patted my red vinyl purse with affection. “I’m American.”

Thanks for stopping by and your comments are appreciated! You can check out other writers at www.sixsunday.com  (Note: some snippets are not suitable for children under 18.)
Have a great week!!    

19 comments:

Jessica Subject said...

LOL Funny six! :)

Patricia Preston said...

Thanks, Jessica! I have more fun with these characters!

K.E. Saxon said...

That is the funniest damned snippet I've read in ages--probably since the last one I read of yours (or maybe Carrie Crain's last real hysterical one). This literally brought tears to my eyes. (Probably since I'm from Texas and I can totally relate to the mentality, LOL!!) Great six!!!!!!

Christine Warner said...

LMBO...great snippet...loved how they are all so casual about what they are talking about like it's the most normal thing in the world!

Patricia Preston said...

KE and Christine: Too funny! Glad you enjoyed Darlene.

Jenna said...

God, I'm so glad to see Darlene again! And she's just as hysterical as always. :) The last line is priceless. Fab six!

Eleri Stone said...

Ha! That is trouble waiting to happen.

Sandra Sookoo said...

LOL loved that last line!

Taryn Kincaid said...

That Darlene is such a stitch!

Carrie Crain said...

Your characters are awesome! I LOVE Darlene! Great wit and voice.

Paula Martin said...

Not sure why she needs so many guns, but liked Richie's reaction.

kristalbaird said...

I had nearly the same conversation with a guy the other day (turns out his dad is a corrections officer!). So lifelike!

Patricia Preston said...

Thanks for all the comments! Kristal, that is too funny! Paula: She's Southern and we love our guns. Jenna: I hope to have this story done in a few more weeks.

Sue Ann Bowling said...

But are guns useful against Haints?

S. J. Maylee said...

Ha! She's prepared, love it.

Susanna Fraser said...

Funny six!

Casey said...

That's my kindda woman. Let's hope the cops don't stop by and offer help! Love it.

--Kimberly K. Comeau

Donna Cummings said...

I love Darlene and her cohorts. I can't wait to see what else happens to them -- it's bound to be lots of fun!

Patricia Preston said...

Just wanted to thank everyone for their comments. I'm just hoping this story will come together.