Saturday, July 7, 2012

Six Sentence Sunday: July 8

Here's a little snippet from "The Yard Sale," a humorous Southern short story. A couple of elderly Early Birds are paying Jennifer for their purchases and doing a little snooping, too


They both wore the same hairstyle. Puffy white-blonde curls sprayed stiff. My mother, a beautician, had produced that same look twenty-five times a day on Fridays and Saturdays for over thirty years.


"Aren't you one of Diane Turner's girls?"


"Yes, ma'am. I'm the youngest."


"Are you the one whose husband ran off with the preacher's wife?"


Thanks for stopping by! "The Yard Sale" is celebrating 2 months on the Amazon Best Seller List in Comedy. You can buy a copy here:  http://amzn.to/Jmog8Z

You can check out other snippets at www.sixsunday.com. Note: some snippets are adult content.


14 comments:

Sarah Ballance said...

Now this is exactly why I *love* small towns. I "summered" in an itty bitty town in Louisiana through much of my childhood and I swear you were looking through the window. Fabulous!

Patricia Preston said...

I've lived in a small Southern town most of my life. It has its pros and cons. Love using the small town setting.

K.E. Saxon said...

LOL! FUNNY punchline. I've got this on my kindle, (along with 1M others). One of these days, I'm going to finally have time to read again (I hope). I love your writing and your stories. Great six!

Patricia Preston said...

KE: Thank you so much!! Hope you have a great day!

Taryn Kincaid said...

Hysterical. As always!

Jess Schira said...

I love small towns, and the blunt straight forward manner that older women seem to have. Wonderful and fun six!

Veronica Scott said...

Older Southern ladies can sure get away with asking ANYTHING LOL. This is a super story and a fun snippet!

DeAnna Felthauser said...

So funny! I love nosey little old ladies, had me cracking up laughing.

S. J. Maylee said...

Easy to picture 6 with silly old ladies. Poor Jennifer, wonder how she'll handle these two, internally and verbally.

Sue Ann Bowling said...

How do you answer that?

Jenna said...

I grew up in a small Southern town and I knew these ladies! Gonna have to get this book too. So funny! Great six!

Sidney Bristol said...

I think I know a few of those old ladies. Good six!

Coleen Kwan said...

Love the description of the old ladies.

Elaine Cantrell said...

You nailed the description of the old ladies.