Saturday, June 2, 2012

Six Sentence Sunday June 3


This week’s snippet is from “The Yard Sale,” now available on Amazon.  The narrator, Jennifer Riley, has lost her job, her husband has left her for another woman, and the bank has foreclosed on the house. She has a yard sale that changes her life as she meets a host of characters from Early Birds to Prince Charming.  Below is a more serious moment in the story.


As Early Birds continued to make purchases, I took in bills, gave back change, and I did each transaction with a big smile.

But, to be honest, this yard sale was the culmination of my shattered life.

Amid the possessions I had for sale were wedding gifts, vacation souvenirs, and birthday presents from Clint. The past seven years of my failed marriage surrounded me. Orange price stickers proclaimed its worth. My belongings had become a corpse and the yard sale, a funeral.

Thanks for stopping by!  I appreciate the visit and hope you'll come back.

You can find other Six Sunday authors here.  Please note some snippets may not be suitable for under age 18.  Read more about "The Yard Sale," Amazon Top 100 in Comedy, on my website: www.patriciaannpreston.com

16 comments:

K.E. Saxon said...

I love that last line. It certainly sums up her emotional state at the moment. Great six!!

Sidney Bristol said...

Love that six. Really great share!

Dara said...

Such a poignant six. Well done!

Eleri Stone said...

I'll never look at a yard sale in quite the same way. Great scene setting.

Mackenzie Crowne said...

Great last line. Well done.

Lisa Fox said...

A bittersweet six indeed. Very well written!

Kate said...

That made my stomach clench. I just want to reach out and give her a hug! It's rare that I have such a strong reaction so quickly. My hat's off to you, dear lady. (okay, I'm not wearing a hat, but if I was...)

Karyn Good said...

What a wonderful six! I love the concept of meeting characters at a yard sale! Awesome!

Wildcat's Wife said...

Delightful! I love your book cover. I will definitely check your book out. What a great way to meet interesting folks and start over again. I'm cheering for your heroine!!

Patricia Preston said...

Hey, y'all, glad you have stopped by and that you've enjoyed the snippet!

Veronica Scott said...

I feel her emotion, great job of capturing the feelings. This is an excellent story and a terrific six!

Sandra Sookoo said...

Oooh, really loved this snippet!

Gem Sivad said...

"...this yard sale was the culmination of my shattered life."
Perfect sentence that sums up the scene beautifully. Great six!

Donna Cummings said...

This was a wonderful story, and I spent so much time smiling and laughing throughout it that I had kind of forgotten the poignant moments, like this one. Great six. :)

Patricia Preston said...

Gem and Donna: Thanks for the wonderful comments. I really appreciate everyone taking the time to read and comment.

Pippa Jay said...

Oh, I just want to give her a hug after all that!