Saturday, May 26, 2012

Six Sentence Sunday: Laid To Rest


This is the introduction to the story I've just finished, "Laid to Rest." It has been in the making for a long time and some of you may remember Richie, Tommy Ray and Darlene from previous posts last year. The story stalled on me for a long time until it finally dawned on me to make it Darlene's story.  Then, it flowed. Maybe because I just love Darlene and her attitude. The story will be part of my Down Home Humor series and published in June.

On a pleasant summer night in 1957, the womanizing mayor of Clayburn, Mississippi, Clifford Earl Stroud, the Third, died the way no married man wants to die.
This surprising calamity changed the lives of  Darlene Higginbottom, who had dreams of Hollywood as well as Richie Underwood, an unemployed service station attendant with a talent for playing the fiddle. And Tommy Ray Petty, whose daddy had stared at Tommy the day he was born and said, "Damn, this boy looks stupid. Are you sure he’s mine?"
Now, in Darlene’s own words, here is the story of what really happened that fateful night when she took the mayor for a ride in more ways than one. . .

          You can read other six sentence snippets here  or check hashtag #sixsunday
Thanks for stopping by and your comments are appreciated!   Happy Memorial Day!

21 comments:

Jessica Subject said...

An intriguing six! :)

Gem Sivad said...

I have an inkling of what kind of wild ride the mayor was on when he died. lol. Great snippet.

Donna Cummings said...

This sounds great -- I already love it, and can't wait to read more. :)

Taryn Kincaid said...

Funnily enuf, back in the days when I was a newspaper columnist and reporter, our beknighted mayor died in the saddle, so to speak. Not unlike a former vice prez/ governor of the great state of New York...

Great story. LOVE the voice!

Jenna said...

I am ecstatic that you've finished "Laid to Rest!" That was one of the first posts I read last year when I found SSS and I've just been hoping it would come back. LOVE this story! Can't wait for its release!

Cara Bristol said...

I love the tone of this piece!

Veronica Scott said...

Intriguing set up, so many people I want to know more about, just in one quick six! Wow!

K.E. Saxon said...

My oh my, what a lead-in! I LOVE this! I'm with Jenna: I'm glad you got yourself unstuck and managed to finish this. What a gem. Great six!!

Patricia Preston said...

I'm so glad you gals have stopped by and I appreciate your encouragement. That is the reason I didn't give up on this story even though I went around in circles for a long time with it.

Wendy said...

Oh yes...this is Southern as sweet tea. You have a wonderful voice. :)

Dee Carney said...

Oh my, what a setup! I have to read more of this!!

Kate said...

Can't wait to read this!

Linda Morris said...

I love the voice and Darlene already sounds like a character I want to know more about. Lots of local color here and warm humor!

S. J. Maylee said...

The end of the first line is superb! I'll definitely be back for more

Lila Shaw said...

Looks like a very cute story from the six you've shown. I'd keep reading!

Patricia Preston said...

Thanks, everyone! Glad you like the snippet. I love writing about these characters.

Heather Boyd said...

Oh wow. Where's the rest? I need to keep reading. LOL Great six

Donna said...

Hahaaa...that poor mayor...love the writing Pat...
hughugs

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

I love it! This little snippet has made me laugh, made me curious and raised an eyebrow! Fun writing:@)

Patricia Preston said...

Donna and Happier: Thanks for stopping by! You're gonna love Darlene!

Pat Trainum aka P. T. Bradley said...

I love Darlene and Richie and poor Tommy Ray!