Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Having the Best Time Ever!


One of the sections in David Gaughran’s terrific book, LET’S GET DIGITAL, is entitled “It’s a Great Time to Be a Writer.” I agree. In fact, I don’t know of a better time to be writing than now.

Writers have more choices available to them and more opportunity to reach readers than ever before. The Digital Renaissance is here, giving authors unprecedented access to a global audience. Writers can follow their own path in this new wonderland. They can continue on the traditional route. They blaze a new trail as an Indy author. Alternatively, they can do both. Writers with out-of-print books have the chance to share their stories with a new generation and authors with stories that don’t “fit a publisher’s needs” no longer have to bury their books in a drawer.

The Digital Renaissance comes with change. I once bought music CD’s regularly. Now, I stream in music instead. I once went to the video store to rent movies. Now, I use my Roku box to rent from the comfort of my recliner.  I made trips to the bookstores. Whenever I was in a store like K Mart, I’d always stop and look even though there wasn’t a lot of authors to choose from. Now, I have made the transition to e-reader and the last few books I bought have been ones by authors I met on Twitter. A couple of years ago, I would have never even imagined that. Times have changed and so have my shopping habits.

This change in how people buy stories and the affordability of e-publishing means I get to write some fun stories that would have never found an audience because there was no print market for them. It has been a turning point for me as a writer, and I will blog more about that in the coming weeks.

For now, I’m having a great time. I laugh when I write. Sometimes, I get up and dance. How about you? How has the Digital Renaissance changed your life?  And to read more about the Digital Renaissance, check out Kristen Lamb’s blog post, The Age of the Artist.

9 comments:

Helen Harill said...

This is so true! Great post. A great time to be a writer.

Patricia Preston said...

Thanks for stopping by! Great that you are on Twitter!

Kate said...

You're more fun than I am. I don't get up and dance when I write. I do love it though. I'm happier when I'm writing. And I agree that it is, indeed, a great time to be a writer!

Stephanie Jones AKA Alicia Pace said...

I think you are correct that it is a great time to be a writer. Someone once said to me that having options was empowering. She wasn't talking about writing but it does apply to all the different avenues that we all have now as routes to pubulication.

Patricia Preston said...

Kate: LOL! I always have music playing and when I get up, I might bop around depending on what is playing. If it is old rock, I'm there!

Patricia Preston said...

Stephanie: Yes, options are great! Yet, no matter your path, writing is hard work. And, going the Indy route is really HARD. I'm going to do more posts about what I have learned this past year (as time permits)

Roxy Boroughs said...

I'm lovin' it.

Donna said...

I love the ease with which you can now shop online these days...no more running out at night or in the rain for a good book to read but somehow, I miss the actual book and the "feel" of a bookstore...sigh. Oh well, Onward.
I'm SOOOO happy for you sweetheart! And that's a Cutie in the swing!!
hughugs

Patricia Preston said...

Thanks for stopping by, Roxy! And, hey, Donna. I know what you mean about missing the bookstores. All but one has closed here. I still go to the library which is only a couple of minutes from my house. Went there after work today. I will always love print books, especially research books that are filled with beautiful photos.