Sunday, April 29, 2012

April 29th: Six Sentence Sunday: The Yard Sale

Hope everyone is having a great Sunday!  I'm looking forward to reading the other posts and seeing what everyone has been doing.  I've got a brand new look and I am hoping to move to blogging on my website but, for now, I'm using Blogger.

My six sentences are from my new release on Amazon. It's a short funny story called "The Yard Sale" and I hope it is the first of many. So far, "The Yard Sale" has done well. After its release last Saturday, it made the best seller list in Comedy on Sunday. That was one of the most exciting days ever for me as a writer.

The story is about Jennifer Riley, the narrator, who is broke and needs money so she has a yard sale. She's lost her job, the bank is taking the house and her husband has left her for the pianist at Cloverdale Baptist Church.  Below is a clip where Theodora, the Gossip Queen, has stopped by Jennifer's sale.

The Gossip Queen lit up. Theodora Mae Trussler lived and breathed for such moments. She lowered her syrupy voice. "That girl may have been playing piano on Sunday morning like a little angel. But, the rest of the time she was the devil's bitch."


Gail and I fell back in our chairs, stunned speechless.


Thanks for stopping by!   Find other authors at www.sixsunday.com

Check out "The Yard Sale" at http://amzn.to/I3tkOg



23 comments:

Grace InAZ said...

Thanks for visiting my blog today! I just ordered "Yard Sale" for my Kindle. Can't wait to start reading it! Thx for mentioning it on my post!
Hugs, GraceinAZ

Jenny Hickman said...

Really enjoyed your post! I feel like I can actually hear the "syrup" in her voice. Beautiful!

angelaquarles.com said...

Well, damn, sounds like the gossip queen called it! fun 6!

Vivien Jackson said...

I love your chatty funny Southern voice. Clearly I don't Twit enough because I missed this release. Congratulations! Now am off to buy it. :)

Vivien Jackson said...

I love your chatty funny Southern voice. Clearly I don't Twit enough because I missed this release. Congratulations! Now am off to buy it. :)

Veronica Scott said...

You certainly nailed the voice of the Gossip Queen LOL! Terrific six...

Sandra Sookoo said...

Nice job capturing the essence of the scene :-)

K.E. Saxon said...

Oh, Patricia, PRICELESS!! I already downloaded this book--Please, JESUS, give me time to read this! At a glance: Irma Bombeck--I LOVE HER!! Can't wait to read this.

Cara Bristol said...

Sounds like a fun read. Gonna take a closer look...

Donna said...

I NEED to settle down long enough to BUY the Book!!Hahaaa...I know it's going to be a fun read Pat!!
I'm SOOO Darn Proud of you sweet thing!!!
(((HUG)))

Paula Martin said...

Great, could just hear the Gossip Queen!

Patricia Preston said...

Lord have mercy, I just got home from church and throwing down one of those delicious Arby's chicken-pecan salad wraps to find all these wonderful comments about "The Yard Sale". I hope the story lives up to its expectations. I love you gals!!!

patonlorraine said...

Love your gossip queen! Great six!

Gem Sivad said...

I think I know those characters. (And the piano player too.)Made me laugh. Well done.

Kate said...

That was wonderful! I literally laughed out loud! Your blog is really pretty, Patricia. :)

Jennifer Lowery (Kamptner) said...

Loved it!! Awesome title and six!

Cate Masters said...

Love the voice in this. Congrats on making the bestseller list!

Patricia Preston said...

Thanks, everyone! Glad you took time to stop by and check out The Yard Sale.

Donna Cummings said...

This was fun! I want to hear more of what The Gossip Queen has to say. :)

Tonya Burrows said...

Yep, she sounds like a gossip queen all right. Love it!

Pat Trainum aka P. T. Bradley said...

The Gossip Queen is great! The Yard Sale is the funniest thing I've read in ages. I know these people. I really do.

Heather Boyd said...

Oh, wow. I'm a bit stunned too. Great six.

Pippa Jay said...

Her voice may be syrup sweet but it sounds like she's dripping poison!