Sunday, January 29, 2012

Goodbye Old Faithful

I'm in mourning. My writing computer died this weekend. For many years, I had this wonderful computer I used only for writing. Nothing else.  For many years, I've had my "writing" computer and my "office/internet" computer.  The office computer is in a small room I use as an office for bill paying and internet stuff like doing this post. I have a slick, black new computer with the wide-screen monitor for use in this room and over the past   few years I have had three computers I used for this purpose. They all eventually had drives crash or they needed to be upgraded because they were so slow. I had no problem switching them out.

But, losing my beloved writing computer has been like a death in the family.  A terrific guy, Jim, built her for me years ago. I had no idea he was doing this until he surprised me with it one day. I treasured it since day one. And, I have to say Jim built one of the best computers ever. I used it practically every day. It ran 24/7. All I did was shut off the monitor and when I was ready to work again, I turned it back on and there was whatever page I was on. There was never a glitch in the computer. No repair ever needed. I guess I expected it to go on forever but Saturday the monitor wouldn't come on. After a process of elimination, I determined it was the computer. Maybe the video card died. I thought about trying to have the video card replaced but maybe it is time to let go of it. I did have laptop I wasn't using and I've spent the weekend getting it set up as a CPU. Plus I had to transfer a lot of data in it.  All the time, I was whining about the other one and how irreplaceable it was.  I did have copies of the files but still it is just idea that it's not there now.

But, that is life.  Everything changes. Nothing lasts forever. But on the upswing, the laptop has great resolution on the monitor I hooked up to it. Even better than the other computer. For every loss there is a gain. And, that is what is what keeps us going.

I treated myself this afternoon by making a peach cobbler. I'm saving it to eat with vanilla ice cream while watching my favorite show, Once Upon A Time!!

5 comments:

Marigold Lott said...

This too shall pass! LOL! But I was sorry to hear the news.

Donna said...

Don't know what happened but don't forget to use a Good Registry cleaner!! I use CCleaner! It's free and ir keeps the computer's "brain" clean...stops crashes. Download it from Piriform and when it comes up you'll see, on the left, 4 different task...Click on Registry, then, scan registry...
hughugs

Joanne said...

I like how you turned your computer loss into a peach cobbler celebration ... Now that's a positive attitude!

Patricia Preston said...

Thanks, Joanne!! LOL!

Mary said...

Ugh! I just read this. I feel your pain! My laptop died this past December... I'm still transferring things to this new one. I honestly have to wonder if there is a self destruct button on laptops. For me, they only last five years.... almost to the date. Maybe that's why yours lasted as long as it did... your friend didn't add that button.