Sunday, December 4, 2011

Monday's Meet The Author: Regina Duke

Regina Duke has so many different stories running through her head, she has to write in different genres to get them all down on paper! Too bad she can’t write as fast as she talks. If she did, she might stand a chance of actually keeping up with her readers’ requests. She wrote her first novel at thirteen, a glorious disaster on lined paper with a black binder for a cover. Thank goodness we improve with practice! Regina lives in northern Nevada and considers herself a desert rat. She shares her life with dogs and writes about them under the name Linda White.

How are you going to celebrate Christmas?
My siblings and I are close at heart but not physically, so we spent part of Christmas day on speakerphones as we share love and laughter and open gifts we’ve given each other. We all wait until the phone call to open our presents. We try to make each other laugh a lot.  And locally, I share Christmas dinner with friends. I also make sure my doggies get some new toys, and if the weather allows, we go for a long walk in the park.

If you were about to be served your last meal, what would be on your plate?
Every treat I deny myself now! LOL! I would pile it high with cream puffs and chocolates and ice cream and warm cookies fresh from the oven. Like many women I struggle to eat healthy and make wise decisions about food, but there was no doubt in my mind when I read this question what would be on my plate.

If you could be any fictional character (books, movies) who would you be?
Oh, I’ve always wanted to be Superman or Supergirl. Either one! I’ve always wanted to fly. I love to help people, and the idea of having super strength is irresistible. Or at least it was as a child. Now I realize I can make a difference in the lives of other people without a fancy red cape or the super strength it represents. I use my metaphorical super powers now to rescue dogs in need and find them new homes.

When someone cuts you off in traffic, how do you react?
Getting angry never helps me in those situations. It just ruins my day. So instead of getting angry, I bless them with safety and patience. I believe you get back what you put out in the world, and I only “curse” people with things that I want to experience myself. It’s just a  version of the Golden Rule, I guess.

What is your guilty pleasure?
Shhh! Don’t tell anyone, but I love knitting and crafts! I squeeze craft painting classes into my schedule, and I even started a new exercise program so I wouldn’t feel too terrible about sitting down and knitting for a couple of hours in the evenings.

If you could time-travel, where would your first stop be?
I would go into the future. I’d love to see what the world looks like in three hundred years. (I think I just gave away my love of paranormals and science fiction!)
What do you love most about being a writer? 
Being able to experience different realities. Putting myself inside other people and living through them. Letting my characters do the things that I am unable to do. Drawing readers into a world I have created. These are all things I love about being a writer.  I love the creation process and I love sharing my stories. I especially enjoy creating believable people. Many of them are likable and some are detestable, but if I do my job well, they should all be memorable. At least I hope so!

North Rim Delight, www.amzn.com/B0050Q57SY
The Woof in the Wedding Plans (a novella)  http://www.amzn.com/B005JSPBV6
Trickster and Other Stories http://www.amzn.com/B005OKJMGY

http://www.reginaduke.com

11 comments:

Regina Duke said...

Good morning! I hope you'll take a moment to tell me what your last meal would be. What fun questions!

And thank you, Patricia, for having me.

Confucius Cat said...

Spaghetti. I think I inherited the love for this meal however. My stepmother tells the story of my father who, when she would prepare something the least bit adventurous (like grilled salmon- ha), would complain: why can't we have spaghetti. So she decided to fix him spaghetti every night for dinner until he complained. She served it for over a month straight and he never protested. She finally gave up.

P.R. Mason

Regina Duke said...

Oh, I love that spaghetti story! Well, if I thought it wouldn't kill me, I'd eat my last meal every night, too! For a lot longer than a month. :-)

Come to think of it, spaghetti would run a close second.

Thanks for stopping by!

Jannine Gallant said...

Fun interview, Regina. Last meal, hmmm. I might have to go with Mexican - tacos, enchiladas, tamales - I can't chose just one!

Regina Duke said...

Hi, Jannine! Oh, yes, Mexican food! Can I have that for my last lunch? And sweets for my last dinner?

And while we're at it, how about last breakfast? I really love French toast. *sigh*

Thanks for stopping by!

K.E. Saxon said...

Indian Food. Specifically from Shivas here in Houston. Along with that, I'd want the ability to eat as much Naan as I wanted AND that rice pudding stuff (whatever it's called) until my taste buds were satisfied, not my belly!

Patricia Preston said...

My last meal would definitely include chocolate. And, sweet iced tea, cornbread, fried okra, sliced tomatoes....

Regina Duke said...

Hi, K.E. Yes, I agree. Yummy! I love Indian food. It's hard to find in Reno, but there are a couple of places hidden away. I also agree about the taste buds taking precedence over the belly. If I only ate to satisfy hunger, I wouldn't be working out so hard now!

Thanks for dropping by. :-)

Regina Duke said...

Hi, Patricia! Oh, a southern girl. My mother was born in Mississippi and raised in Louisiana. Her cornbread was the stuff dreams are made of. I confess, though, that I never understood the charm of okra. LOL!

Thanks for having me today.

Lynda Bailey said...

Fun interview, Regina!
My last meal? Wine and chocolate. And lots of both!
:)

Regina Duke said...

Hi, Lynda! Wine and chocolate? Hmmm... I hadn't considered adding alcohol. What a lovely choice!

Thanks for dropping by!