Friday, November 11, 2011

Sweet Saturday Sample: Lady Silver

This Saturday's sample is from my current WIP, Lady Silver, the story of a female spy and a soldier set in New Orleans in 1814.  The current sample is from a scene in Jesse's POV. This is the first time he has been in a lighted room with the heroine and he is dying to see her face.

     The candles sputtered and she rose to tend to them. Gently, she tilted each pillar candle and the liquid wax flowed away from the wick. The flames brightened and flickered. Their light caught in the prisms of her gold necklace and jeweled mask. Frustrated, he tapped his thighs. “Is that mask comfortable?” he blurted out like a curious schoolboy.
            She turned from her task to peer at him from behind the mask. Her lips twitched as if she were struggling to keep her face straight. She lost the battle. Her laughter settled into a stunning smile that created deep dimples in her cheeks. “The mask is very comfortable.”
            He decided to be direct. “I wish you would remove it,” he said. “I would like to see your face.”
            “I told you it is a plain face.”
            “I don’t think there is anything plain about you, Lady Silver.”

Check out samples from other writers at  http://bit.ly/uE7UvV You may find some new writers you love.  I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

12 comments:

Sherry Gloag said...

Lots of overt passion in this sample. loved the description of her resetting the candles.

melyndaprice said...

I love the candle play in this scene.

Sandy Nachlinger said...

I can see this scene clearly and feel the characters' emotions. "Lady Silver" is such a terrific name too!
Thanks for the photo of Jackson Square. There's no place like New Orleans.

Elaine Cantrell said...

Super hook! Now I want to know how she looks too. Great job.

Tess Grant said...

Now, I want to know what she looks like! Nice sample.

sue said...

New Orleans ! 1800s! oh so much can do with that period - and the snippet so intriguing

Jenna said...

I can feel the atmosphere in the room, the description of the candlelight is so vivid. Just from this sample I can tell I'm going to need to get this one. When will it be out?

Patricia Preston said...

Thanks for the great comments! Jenna, I am hoping to get this story back to my editor by the end of this month. Maybe I will know something soon on it.

Marsha Ward said...

Yeah. Jesse's not the only curious person here. What a great sample, Patricia!

mirriamsmyth said...

I agree with him - there's nothing plain about a woman of intrigue like Lady Silver. :) Can't wait to read more!

diannehartsock said...

She's such a tease! And how can anyone be plain with a smile like that one? Show us your face! :)

Thanks for stopping by my site today!

Liz Fielding said...

Love it!