Monday, November 7, 2011

Monday's Meet the Author: Wendy Soliman

Today's guest is Wendy Soliman. She is a British author, now dividing her time between Andorra and the west coast of Florida. She shares her life with her husband Andre and a rescued dog of indeterminate pedigree. She writes historical and contemporary romance under her full name and, as W. Soliman, marine crime mysteries and contemporary fiction. 

Check out Wendy's answers to some fun questions:

It’s raining men, so what kind of men?
Well now, let’s see. Hmm, Sean Connery as James Bond, Sean Bean as Sharpe, (what is it about men in uniforms?). Am I being too predictable here? Okay then, how about Glenn Fry from The Eagles? Pauses to fan herself.
 I’m as susceptible to a hunky body and handsome face as the next girl but, truth to tell, it’s intelligence in a man that really turns me on. Perhaps that’s why Andre and I have been together for 26 years. He’s a smart-arse and a bit of a hunk but someone had to make the ultimate sacrifice and marry him.
If you could be a fictional character, who would you be?
Lydia Bennet from Pride and Prejudice. She liked men in uniform too, remember. Seems to me she had a better time of it that her more conventional sisters, flirting, flouting the rules, ignoring any advice she didn’t want to hear and generally doing precisely as she pleased.  And her big sisters married well, so she’d be looked after when the good times came to an end.
If you knew you were going to die tomorrow, what would you do tonight?
Steal a march on the grim reaper. I hate being predictable, so rather than sitting about, bemoaning my lot, waiting for him to get round to me, I’d eat something exceedingly enjoyable, fattening and bad for me, (well, it wouldn’t be a time for calorie counting, would it?), drink myself insensible and…and then have another drink. Cheers!
You have wished upon a star, what did you wish for?
If I tell you, it won’t come true, will it? Oh, all right, since you asked so nicely, I don’t mind admitting that I didn’t think about world peace, eradicating famine or curing fatal illnesses. What does that say about me? No, don’t tell me. Anyway, I asked to be ten pounds lighter, twenty years younger and have more success as an author.
Hang on, that’s three wishes. Oh well…
What do you love about writing?
Escapism. Creation is at my fingertips and all the characters I give birth to have to dance to my tune. Oh, the power! I’m currently conducting a one-woman campaign against sizism. I don’t know a woman who doesn’t agonise over her shape and yet nearly all the books I read feature heroines of perfect proportions. Life just ain’t like that I wanted to write about someone that ordinary women could relate to.

Downsizing  has an overweight heroine who feels invisible in a room full of people because no one can see the warm, intelligent person lurking beneath all that bulk. No one except local heartthrob Noah Fenwick, that is. But even he lets Maxine down, proving to her that fat girls aren’t supposed to have fun.
Read the first chapter of Downsizing by W. Soliman on my websitehttp://www.wsoliman.com and let me know what you think of Maxine.
Downsizing by W. Soliman. Available as an e-book from Musa Publishing $4.99 Here’s the link: http://bit.ly/tDzp4U
Thanks for having me here, Pat. It’s been a blast, (I think!).
Wendy

3 comments:

Kim Smith said...

Awesome post! Thanks for sharing :)

Velda Brotherton said...

Or offer you a ride on his Harley when it's raining. Thanks for the interview. Inspired questions and over the top replies.

Patricia Preston said...

Glad you enjoyed the post!