Sunday, November 6, 2011

How to Cook the Perfect Frozen Biscuit

Frozen biscuits are hard to cook. Maybe I should say they are hard for me to cook. I'm talking about the kind you buy in the bag at the supermarket like Pillsbury Frozen Buttermilk Biscuits. I'm sure many of you make homemade biscuits but not me. I need something faster and less messy. Now, a frozen biscuit is great for slicing and sticking a piece of ham or sausage in the middle. (I don't know how, but my cholesterol is normal.)

The problem I've had with frozen biscuits is the time it takes to cook them and that the bottom always gets done way too early. So the bottom of the biscuit is overcooked and hard before the rest of it gets done. Sometimes the top get done before the middle as well. This happened to me while using a regular cookie sheet or cake pan.  So, I tried a new approach. I used a iron griddle. I did preheat the oven so it was hot when I put the griddle and biscuit in the oven. I'm assuming the iron griddle takes longer to heat up because the top part of the biscuit was already baking when the bottom started to brown. When the biscuit was brown on top and appeared down, I took it out of the oven. I was pleased to find the bottom was evenly cooked and not hard, plus the center was done as well!  In fact, it looked like the biscuits they serve at Cracker Barrel.  You can't beat that!

1 comment:

Donna said...

Good idea!
We bake about 6 at a time on an Air Sheet baking pan (Bed Bath & Beyond and maybe WalMart) Also sit them close together on top of a piece of parchment paper...Oven, 375 for 22 to 25 min. Perfect every time.
Cool the leftover biscuits and keep in a ziplock bag...Need a biscuit? Reheat in microwave for about 15seconds...Just like Fresh Baked...
Happy week Pat!
hughugs