Sunday, October 23, 2011

Monday's Meet the Author: Carla Swafford

This Monday I am featuring one of Avon Impulse's new authors, Carla Swafford. An Alabama gal, Carla inherited her love of books from her dad and his father. Growing up, she read every book with a horse on the cover until the age of twelve when she read her first romance. Tired of waiting for her favorite authors to publish more books, she decided to write one. She joined Romance Writers of American and was the finalist in several writing contests. Currently, she works in a male-dominated occupation at the same company with her husband. You can find out more about Carla and her books at www.carlaswafford.com.  I've known Carla for several years and she's a true gem! Plus, she has graced us with some pretty cool answers to a few probing questions.

Thanks, Patricia, for asking me to post on your blog.  I’ve always loved hanging out with you.

If you were about to be served your last meal, what would be on your plate?

Oh, that’s easy. Sesame chicken from The Palace in Trussville, AL. Their other dishes are wonderful as my daughters try different ones when they go with me, and I take a bite of theirs. Several times I’ve planned to order something else, but I always order the same dish. And on Saturdays they have egg drop soup that is delicious along with their crispy egg rolls. Now I’m hungry for it.

If you could be any fictional character (books, movies) who would you be?

I’m going to cheat a little on the question because I would love to be Renee Russo. She’s not fictional, of course, but she played some great fictional characters. Who can forget her in Lethal Weapon Three when she and Mel Gibson’s characters fought over who had the most scars. Or The Thomas Crown Affair, when her character falls in love with Pierce Brosnan’s billionaire thief. Oh, my, lucky girl. Heck, lucky guy too.

While writing Olivia in Circle of Desire, I thought of Ms. Russo. Many of her roles were of strong women with strong men. She always holds her own.  Olivia does the same.

You’ve just been handed a one-way ticket to where?

To Seattle. I love the city and its atmosphere. Something that proves not all characters are like their authors. Olivia disliked Seattle and the rain as she couldn’t wait to move on to her next job in Denver. But every time I’ve visited, I’ve found something more to love. The relaxed atmosphere, the coffee shops where everyone has a book opened at their tables. The people are polite and nice. I often teased the people I know there that they’re misplaced southerners.

If I were rich, I would have a summer home there as too many of my family members live in Alabama for me to move away permanently.

What is your guilty pleasure? 

I’ve been on a diet for four months so all of my guilty pleasures are centered on food. The sesame chicken I mentioned earlier and malted milk balls. Every since I was a kid that has been one of my big weaknesses.  I usually settle for Whoppers, but my favorite is from Brach’s. Must. Stay. Away. From. Candy. Aisle.

It’s raining men! What kind of men?

Oh that’s easy. I like all shapes and sizes. In several of my unpublished books, I have men under six foot to those as tall as six five with coal black hair to sandy blond.

In Circle of Desire, the hero looks like a young Hugh Jackman. For some of the other fellows, I thought of Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson and Vin Diesel.  There’s even a Pierce Brosnan as one of the older guys in Circle of Danger that’s coming out next year.

Do you still remember your first kiss?

Wow! I haven’t thought about it for years. I guess my first real kiss was at the age of twelve. I was very mature (I thought). My cousin set me up with his girlfriend’s brother. The four of us met at the movies. It was 2001: Space Odyssey. Yes. I’m really telling my age now. Anyway, he kissed me, and I remembered I didn’t know what to do with my hands. You know, the movies (at the time) didn’t really show that. It was always a close up of the characters’ faces, and I never paid any attention to where they placed their hands. Needless to say, my cousin teased me about waving my hands in the air.

 What do you love most about being a writer? 

Making stories up. Creating a life for people I’ve never met but know so well. Meeting people with a similar drive to become published and being successful at it. You know, writers have voices in their heads reciting fascinating stories that needs repeating with ink and paper. It so nice to know I’m not alone.

I think writers are open minded, willing to find something redeemable even in the bad boys of the world or something frightful in those too good to be true girls. Writers look at all the angles and find beauty or horror in the oddest places. 

Being a romance writer is even more special. We are eternal optimists with our happily ever afters. I wouldn’t want it any other way.


We are glad you stopped by and if you have time, leave a comment. Carla would love to hear from you. Tweets are appreciated.

21 comments:

marybelle said...

I enjoyed the interview thank you. It sounds like your dieting is going well. Good for you. I have CIRCLE OF DESIRE on my reading list already.

marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

Karen H in NC said...

Loved the interview today. Good answers to some very different interview questions. I liked that.

Patricia Preston said...

Glad you enjoyed the post, Karen!

Carla Swafford said...

Thanks, Marybelle! I hope you enjoy it. :-)

Carla Swafford said...

Karen H, I had to think harder on those for sure. :-)

Carla Swafford said...

Thanks again, Patricia, for inviting me. By the way, your website is beautiful.

JoAnn said...

I miss Chinese food.

And Whoppers.

:(

:)

Carla Swafford said...

LOL! For those who don't know, JoAnn is on the same diet (Doctor controlled). Next July, we may eat Anaheim out of house and home, but we'll look good doing it!

Anya said...

First off.. Congrats again on your awesome release! And Second.. What do you have next for your writing project?

Pat Trainum aka P. T. Bradley said...

Great questions and interview! Whoppers. I can taste one now. They're one of those "you can't eat just one" foods. ;)
I have Circle of Desire and can't wait to read it.

Carla Swafford said...

Thanks, Anya. I love it when people ask me that. Since I'm writing the second book in The Circle Series called CIRCLE OF DANGER. It's Collin's brother's story. Ryker is now head of The Circle and he's trying to protect the woman he loves, but instead he gets himself in deep trouble. Guess who has to save his butt? LOL!

Carla Swafford said...

Thank you, Pat! I hope you enjoy it. Just think of Circle of Desire's chapters as Whoppers. LOL! You know, that kind of came out wrong. Anyway, that's for buying my book. HUGS.

Chelsea B. said...

I enjoyed the interview! I am soooo looking forward to reading Circle of Desire!

justforswag(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

Carla Swafford said...

Chelsea, thanks!

Stella (Ex Libris) said...

Thank you for such a lovely interview! :-D I loved the questions asked and getting to know Carla better. And I agree, Renee Russo was so smoking hot yet elegant in the Thomas Crown Affair, wow, she exuded sophistication and I also would love to fly on that plane ;-)

Can't wait to read Circle of Desire!

stella.exlibris (at) gmail (dot) com

Patricia Preston said...

I'm so glad everyone has enjoyed Carla's interview. I know her book will be terrific!

Veronica Scott said...

First kiss - oh wow, I was in 7th grade and this very cool 9th grader asked me to dance and I now know that he was experiencing that romance novel trope - the rising manhood struggling against tight jeans - but in 7th grade I just knew he was sexy as all get out and he stole a kiss at the end of the dance. HE knew what he was doing, so I enjoyed the whole experience I must say!

Patricia Preston said...

Veronica, thanks for sharing! Sounds like a great kiss.

Katherine Bone said...

Hey Carla,

I'm so psyched for you! I know you've been working long and hard for this day. Wishing you the greatest success!

P.S. Love your love of bad boys. LOL!

Carla Swafford said...

Thanks, Stella, Veronica and Katherine!

Vivien said...

I loved the Thomas Crown Affair! And don't we all wish it were raining men? lol

Vivien
deadtossedwaves at gmail dot com