Friday, September 16, 2011

Sweet Saturday Sample: Almost An Outlaw

This is my first Saturday joining Sweet Saturday Sample and I'm posting a short sample from the 1st chapter of Almost An Outlaw published by Carina Press. I have always referred to it as my Jesse James book because the heroine is Jesse's cousin. It's a historical romance novella set during the week of Jesse's wedding in April 1874.

         “If you're looking for something besides clothing, I do have a number of lovely gift items that any lady would love."  She reached for the display of perfume on the counter and dabbed a bit of fragrance on her wrist.  “This cologne is a very light orange blossom and lilac combination.  It is one of my favorites.  Do you like it?"
            He sniffed her wrist.  "I'd buy it for a special lady but I don't have one."
            Much to her horror, his words thrilled her. 
            "I see you got married."  He gave her wedding band a pointed look.
            She pulled her hand back and closed the bottle of perfume."Yes, I was married.  I'm widowed now."
"You're awfully young to be widowed."
            "Young men die, too,"  she said.  Sometimes, their wives get them killed.  He offered the standard condolences while she returned the perfume bottle to the display tray.  "What about a silk hankie or a beaded reticule?"
            "I'm not here as a customer,"  he remarked and she lifted her brows in surprise.  He spoke quietly,  "I talked to Thad Adams at the Croft Hotel."
She had known the hotel manager, Thad Adams, all her life.  They had gone to school together and Thad was now married to her aunt's sister-in-law. 
            "He said you could help me."
"With what?"  she asked.
            "I need to see the Boys,"  he said, using the local nickname for James-Younger gang.
            In that one second, when he mentioned the Boys, a chill swept over her. She couldn’t keep smiling, not when she sensed trouble. Warily, she slid a glance to his waist where he wore his guns tied down and heels forward, gunfighter-style.

 If you are interested in knowing more about the story, click on the Book tab. Thanks for stopping by and I hope you have a great weekend!

16 comments:

Sherry Gloag said...

"Sometimes, their wives get them killed." Wow, what a hook!
Welcone to the Saturday gang. You sure offered a 'humdinger' of a first sample :-)
Good luck with your book.

Jennifer Lowery (Kamptner) said...

I agree with Sherry—great hook! Great sample!

Beth Trissel said...

I enjoyed this! It is a super hook.

Taryn Kincaid said...

Awesome excerpt, Pat! Has it all!

Patricia Preston said...

Thanks to all for your wonderful comments. Taryn, I'm glad you got to comment!

Lindsay said...

She doesn't seem to be all that nice a woman what with the internal thought and her knowledge of how a gunfighter tots his revolvers

Marsha Ward said...

Welcome to SSS. I can hardly wait to read your next sample, because this one is super. Thanks!

Patricia Kiyono said...

So glad you joined us this week! I love your sample. Can't wait to read more.

Miss Pickles (alias Sandra) said...

Oh, I love this scene! I am already intrigued. Great sample!

diannehartsock said...

I wonder if he means to join the gang or try to arrest them. Something serious, anyway. I see trouble ahead for her. Nice excerpt.

Thanks for stopping by my site!

the1940mysterywriter said...

"Much to her horror, his words thrilled her." So much in that line! Welcome to SweetSat!
Gunnar

carrieannebrownian said...

I liked this sample, and I agree it's a great hook.

Patricia Preston said...

Thanks to everyone who took time to comment! I've enjoyed this.

Joyce DiPastena said...

Jesse James' cousin? What a fun idea! Nice excerpt. Glad you've joined the list!

mirriamsmyth said...

Wow, that's a great hook! I can't wait to own this book!

Patricia Preston said...

Thanks Mirriam!