Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Slaw Dogs for Supper

In this part of the country, a slaw dog is a hot dog with coleslaw and mustard on the bun.  I always thought slaw dogs were like universal until I went to Texas.  In Houston, I went with my son's pals to a restaurant where the speciality was hot dogs.  They had all kinds of hot dogs.  So I asked for a slaw dog, assuming if you ran an eating place catering to hot dogs, you would have slaw.  They acted like they had never heard of slaw.

Here, everybody knows what you mean when you say slaw dog. Back in the day, our drive-in movie theater was famous for its slaw dogs. They were delicious and every time we went, we always got slaw dogs.  So, every summer, I usually treat myself to a slaw dog.  Except now, the hot dog is actually a turkey dog with only 40 calories and fat free.  They are easy and fast to make.  No having to heat up the kitchen.

Speaking of heat, we are in the midst of deep summer.  It's a 110 in the shade.  From what they said on the news, most of the country is baking. Take care if you are outside doing anything.  Heat kills.

I'm staying in for the most part. July has been a good month so far.  My shoulder pain has improved a great deal and I'm taking care not to stress it by lifting.  Last Saturday night, my pal, Lee Ann, came over and we just relaxed, ate pizza and watched movie trailers on Flickster, plus an episode of Supernatural. And, tonight the finals for America's Got Talent begins.  Much to my disappointment, I don't really have a favorite this year.

I'm also reading and I really want to do some reviews when I get time.  I've read about 15 books in the last 2 months. Currently, I am finishing up Joanna Bourne's The Forbidden Rose and I have started The Jefferson Key by Steve Berry.  Both are very good books.  Very different. One is a romance and the other a fast-paced National Treasure type story.  I read across the board in fiction, not just one genre.  

I am currently working on the final draft of Lady Silver.  I love so much about it, the time period and the setting.  It keeps me working at the craft while I am making some decisions as to where I want to go with writing and that is another blog post in itself. 

Time to go chill out!

4 comments:

Donna said...

Oh My!!Hahaaa....I've never heard of the Slaw Dog...Sorry! I'm in Texas! But you know? I'll bet it taste Good! If I get brave enough, I'll try it...
Sweet day to you friend!
hughugs

Reina said...

Hadn't heard of them (CA native here) either but they sound good! Glad you're having a good summer and making progress on Lady Silver. :)

Jane said...

If only I could eat one! Not for a long time! Looks good. I like honey mustard on them, too.

Crystal said...

Hi Patricia! A Slaw Dog dressed with lots of cool slaw would be the perfect fare for a hot lazy afternoon beneath a shade tree, in the company of a good book. You just can't get too much shade these days.

I'm so happy you have had a chance to lose yourself in all those books! And I'm glad things are moving along with Lady Silver.