Saturday, June 11, 2011

Six Sentence Sunday June 12

This week I am going to feature my current project, Lady Silver. It is a short historical filled with adventure and romance in old New Orleans. 

The set-up:  The hero, Captain Jesse Cross, is in New Orleans with General Andrew Jackson's army in December 1814. He heads up military intelligence in the city.  The heroine, Nicole, is a French servant and she is working with a Creole spy ring while hunting for her mistress's runaway son. Keeping her identity a secret, she calls herself Lady Silver and she meets Jesse at night in a deserted courtyard to relay messages regarding the British. Enamored, Jesse wants to know who she really is and most of all he wants to see her face.  Snippet from Chapter 1.

           “I want to see your face.”
She didn’t know what to make of the urgency in his coarse voice, much less the furious beating of her own heart. He wanted to see the face of Lady Silver. But, hidden behind the ornate mask and black cloak, Lady Silver was nothing more than a ruse that allowed an ordinary servant girl to become exotic like Madame’s fragrance and to intrigue a man such as the captain. A man who would never notice her otherwise.
“It is a plain face,” she assured him.

Check out the other writers and snippets at http://www.sixsunday.com/ or check out Twitter hashtag #sixsunday.

Have a great day!!

29 comments:

sassyspeaks said...

Ah New Orleans which I love, secret spies and servant girls - ooo la la - delicious !

Patricia said...

Sassy: I put all my faves in this story!

Taryn Kincaid said...

Terrific snippet and story! I love New Orleans settings.

(Did you know my kitchen sink steampunkery is also set there? During the same time period? HAH! Similarity ends there, though, I think!)

Vivien Jackson said...

All right: I'm on board. Not only is the setting delicious but I think the character setup's fascinating, too. Looking forward to more from this. Is Darlene et al already off to a publisher? Looking forward to its release, if so.

Patricia Preston said...

Vivien: Darlene and the boys are in limbo. Waiting for me to get back to them. Darlene is not happy.

Sandra Sookoo said...

I think she's in a bit of a pickle :-)

Heather Thurmeier said...

Great snippet. Sounds like an interesting read.

Carolyn Rosewood said...

I love your writing! This sounds really good!

Lisa Fox said...

A little mystery is very alluring.

JoAnne Kenrick said...

You had me at New Orleans... LOL Lady Silver, what a name! And a bit of mystery does a man good hehe FAB SIX, look forward to reading this one! And thanks for the comment on my six, totally appreciated -- glad you liked! Have you visited the Emerald Island to trace the roots of your ancestors and soak up the atmosphere? Beautiful country!

ursulawhistler.com said...

Ah, my NOLA! Great setting and really cool title. Nice job.

Cassandra Carr said...

Love the time period. You don't see too much American stuff from this time.

Cate Masters said...

Love this, from the setting to her voice to the story premise. Well done!

Sarah Grimm said...

Great six! How's she going to get herself out of this one?

Lynne Murray said...

Love the Old New Orleans setting and the use of Madame's fragrance as a disguise. New Orleans and perfume are always linked for me. Sensual six!

Sonya Clark said...

Great snippet and I love the set-up! Sounds like a very intriguing story.

Pat Trainum aka P. T. Bradley said...

Great story. Feed us some more next week!

Laura Kaye said...

The premise of this story sounds great! And I loved the six! More from this story, please!

lexcade said...

This is a great snippet! I love the "will she? won't she?" allure.

Maybe he won't think she has a plain face....

Elaine Cantrell said...

Nothing like a little mystery to intrigue a man.

murdersandmysteries said...

Hope she holds out and does't reveal the true her

J.A. Beard said...

Mask scenes always intrigue me. I also love your setting! So much potential!

Monica Enderle Pierce said...

Lot's going on here and a wonderful set-up to keep her scrambling. Nice!

Pippa Jay said...

Awe, poor Lady Silver. Will he care that she's just a servant?

Alix said...

Fantastic tease! Thank-you.

gayleramage said...

Great snippet. Wonder if/when he'll finally get to see that face. :-)

Roberta Walker said...

I bet he won't think it's a plain face, will he?

Lisa Kumar said...

I'm sure he'll like what's underneath!

Charlotte Gatto said...

Very mysterious! I want to find out how he reacts when he finally gets to see her face.