Thursday, June 30, 2011

Arby's Chicken Wrap and Writing

Pictured is the chicken-pecan salad wrap from Arby's. This is one of the best wraps I have ever eaten. It contains chicken, pecans, grapes, apples, celery and romaine lettuce in a whole-wheat wrap. It makes a great meal in itself for less than $5. You can't beat that if you like chicken salad. I do recommend it and I don't think you will be disappointed.  I usually buy one or two a week through the drive-thru window and they are always good.  You can't always say that about fries or hamburgers bought at the drive-thru. How many times have you got cold fries or worse a cold hamburger?

Since I first ate one a couple of months ago, I have encouraged several of my friends to get one. They tried them and they have been eating them ever since. At work, during lunch, I told several of my co-workers to try them. The result was good. The gal in the office next to me loved them. She's started buying one every week.  So, what does the Arby's chicken wrap have to do with writing?

Word-of-mouth sells.  Due to my telling others about the chicken wrap, they became fans. The same is true of books/authors. Nothing sells a book faster than word-of-mouth. You can spend a fortune on ads, you can trot all over the country and/or internet, meet and greet, do giveaways, etc. in hopes of boosting sales but nothing works like word-of-mouth.  One reader saying to another: That's a good book.  I will be honest.  The number one reason I buy and read a book is because it was recommend by a friend. 

So, the next time you read a book you enjoy, do take a moment to recommend it to another reader. This is doing the author a great service because it is not something a writer can purchase like bookmarks but it is by far the most effective sales tool around. In turn, writers should work to produce a wonderful story that readers will want to share with their friends along with a chicken wrap!

4 comments:

BECKY said...

Patricia, what a great post! And wow, Arby's should be paying you for your marketing! :-)

I totally agree about reading a book because someone I trust recommends it.

AND, I'll definitely drive over to my local Arby's and say, "Patricia sent me!"

Patricia Preston said...

Becky, I hope you will enjoy the wrap! Let me know. The gals at work said the same thing that I should be working for Arby's. LOL

Donna said...

I DO try to bring our lunches from home but we also like to eat out during the week for lunch. I'll try this! Sounds good...
Happy 4th of July sweet friend!
Now I'm hungry...Hahahaa
hughugs

Patricia Preston said...

I'd love to go get one for dinner but the traffic is awful!!