Sunday, April 24, 2011

In Remembrance of Beverly: Pretty Woman

Our friendship had spanned decades and many milestones from the death of parents to the birth of grandchildren. I have so many little unforgettable memories. Like her love of flowing scarves. She loved all things girly and blingy.  She had a "strawberry" kitchen, especially in her old house. Strawberry decor throughout. I remember one of her first attempts at writing was a romance she called Strawberry Kisses. Her favorite fairytale was Beauty and the Beast. She collected "Belle" figurines. Beverly was a card-sender. She never forgot my birthday and, during the past year when I was going through some difficult times, she sent me numerous "cheer up" cards. And, she never missed Christmas or Valentine's Day either. Thursday I received the last card I will ever get from her. It was a Easter card, delivered on the day she suddenly left this life.

A couple of years ago, she and I attended a funeral together and on our way home, we were talking about funeral songs, she told me she wanted to them to play Pretty Woman for her.  So, the Roy Orbison video is for you, Beverly. No one deserves it more. 




I am going to conclude this post with Beverly's new release.  The book is to be released Tuesday and she was to be my guest blogger tomorrow.  She had written the short post about the book a week ago and sent it to me.

Dead by Morning” is Book 2 in my “Dead by” trilogy and continues the on-going saga of the Powell Private Security and Investigation Agency.  The first book in the trilogy “Dead by Midnight” picked up where the previous Powell Agency book, “Silent Killer” ended.  Although these books are connected via the agency in one way or another, each story stands alone, and it’s not necessary to read the one before or the one after or to read them in order.  But if you want to get to know the characters who populate these books, especially Griffin Powell, you should start with “Killing Her Softly” because that’s the book where you first see Griff as a major secondary character.  Be sure to check my website at www.beverlybarton.com for a complete list of my books.  All the Powell Agency books are clearly marked, so you’ll be able to see which books are and which ones are not connected.
            Derek Lawrence, a former FBI profiler, kept on retainer by the Powell Agency, is the hero of “Dead by” Book 2.  Maleah Perdue, a Powell agent, is the heroine.  Maleah was first introduced in “The Dying Game” and has shown up over and over again in my books.  She and Derek locked horns in “Dead by Midnight” when they were assigned to work together on the Midnight Killer case.  I knew then that they were meant to be together.  As they gradually became better acquainted, they saw beyond the protective fa├žade each presented to the world and discovered that they actually liked and respected each other.
            While one mystery is solved in this book, I must admit that I do leave another hanging.  My December ’11 novel “Dead by Nightfall” will not only solve that mystery, it will answer all the questions readers have been asking about Griffin Powell and those mysterious missing years of his life.

14 comments:

Vivien Jackson said...

Oh, goodness. I'm sorry to hear this sad news and thank you for such a touching tribute. My best to everyone who is grieving today.

Patricia Preston said...

Thank you, Vivien. She was a special friend.

Donna said...

Oh, Pat.... I'm so awfully sorry!!!! What a terrible sadness for you sweetheart...bless her heart, and Yours.
(((((((hug))))))))

Carla Swafford said...

Oh, Pat, it's too hard to think about it. She was such a sweetheart.

Patricia Preston said...

I know, Carla. Thursday and Friday were awful days. I had been at her house last month and never thought that would be the last time I'd ever see her.

Pat said...

Beautiful post and great tribute for a generous and kind true Southern Lady who enjoyed life to the fullest. She will be so missed.

Sandy said...

Dear Patricia,

I'm so sorry for your loss. Please convey my condolences to Beverly's family.

Beverly and I had something in common. I'm a card sender, too. Smile.

It's sad when you lose someone so soon.

Toni Anderson said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, Patricia. She sounds like a wonderful woman and I know she was a great writer.

Reina said...

I'm so sorry for your loss and for all those who loved such a special sounding lady. We had a strawberry kitchen when I was young. Take care. xx Reina
PS-thanks for the good wishes on my blog.

Jennifer Lane said...

That is so sad to hear about your friend dying. Your post is a lovely tribute to her.

Morpho Melinda said...

Pat, this is a beautiful post. Stay strong. It's so sad.

BECKY said...

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear this! What a wonderful tribute you paid to her, complete with her special song. I send you hugs.

Patricia Preston said...

Thanks to all for your comments. Beverly would be pleased.

Anonymous said...

I wish I could have met her. You have always talked about her and how fun and vivacious she was. I'm here for you and I'm so sorry for your loss and her family is in my prayers.