Saturday, March 19, 2011

Six Sentence Sunday: Laid To Rest

This Sunday's snippet features Darlene from my short story, Laid To Rest.  Richie (the narrator) and his sidekick, Tommy Ray Petty. are in the process of trying to steal gas out of the mayor's Cadillac while he is visiting the town prostitute, Darlene. (During sex with Darlene, the mayor has passed away).  The two hapless rednecks are offered $5000 by the mayor's brother to make it appear he died in a respectable car wreck.

      "Tell us what happened, Darlene," I said.
      "I was just lying there thinking about that pretty pink sundress I saw down at Shainberg's while Mayor Stroud was moaning and making funny faces. Why, I thought he was just enjoying himself and the next thing I knew he went limp and I mean all over! And, then, his eyes rolled back in his head!"  She flung her arm across her face. "I ain't never gonna be right again."

Visit the other writers participating in 6 Sentence Sunday: http://www.sixsunday.blogspot.com/

Check out other Laid To Rest posts on my blog.  Have a happy day!!

25 comments:

Reina said...

Thanks for the laugh! :)

Donna said...

Bought the book!!
Can't wait to get into it!!
Happy week Girl!
hughugs

Patricia Preston said...

Reina: Glad you came by.
Donna: Hope you enjoy the outlaw book.

Cate Masters said...

Poor Darlene! Maybe she'll look for another line of work lol

Taryn Kincaid said...

Hilarious. Laying back thinking of the sundress! Such a great voice here!

Sandra Sookoo said...

lol oh that was great!

jennajaxon said...

Great six! Sounds like a fun read.

Linda Morris, Romance writer said...

Ha, the snippets from this book have all made me chuckle, and this one is no exception.

Sarah Grimm said...

Too funny! I love visiting on Sunday for a good laugh. Great job.

Pippa Jay said...

Poor Darlene! Guess she was too good at her job. :-O

Christa Paige said...

Oh my! I like your prose, it is so engaging and fun to read. The dialog really shows Darlene's character.

Susanna Fraser said...

This continues to be such a fun story!

Rae Renzi said...

I so laughed at this...! Loading it up on my Kindle now!

Patricia Preston said...

Glad everyone is enjoying Darlene. LOL!

Jessica said...

LOL. Poor Darlene.

Hailey Edwards said...

LOL. This keeps getting better and better.

Beverly Barton said...

I loved Tommy Ray’s story when you first told me about it last year. I’d like to see you turn this idea into a book. And what a great movie it would make. Anyone reading these little snippets from the story is going to want to read more.

Liana Brooks said...

Interesting situation. I wonder how that turns out. o.0

Lindsay said...

ROFL

Stacey Kennedy said...

Oh lawd, that's AWESOME!!! LOL!

Dee Carney said...

ROFLMAO! OMG! I'm dying!!! (BTW, I kept getting distracted by the cover for Almost an Outlaw. Love it.)

Eleri Stone said...

Poor Darlene. Great six : )

Laura Kaye said...

Great dialogue, and love the last line!

Emily Cale said...

Great line!

Lauri J Owen said...

Yikes and double yikes! Great dialogue, too.