Saturday, March 5, 2011

Six Sentence Sunday: Laid To Rest

This Sunday I am posting the first six sentences of a short story I am writing entitled Laid To Rest.  It is humorous fiction set in Mississippi in 1954 about two good ol' boys who end up trying to make the mayor's death look accidental.

   Mayor Clifford Earl Stroud, the Third died the way no politician wants to die—on top of a woman who was not his wife.
     Trouble was me and Tommy Ray Petty didn't know Mayor Stroud was having a heart attack while we were siphoning the gas out of his brand-new 1954 Caddy.  The white Fleetwood gleamed in the moonlight like a beached whale as I removed the gas cap and threaded a piece of a rubber hose into the tank.
     A match flickered in the darkness when Tommy Ray lit up a cigarette.  Momma always said he wasn’t quite right.
     "Tommy Ray, it ain't a good idea to smoke and steal gas at the same time."

                                                                                                                                                                 
If you would like to participate, more info here: http://sixsunday.blogspot.com/

29 comments:

Dawne Prochilo said...

Great description of the era...can't say I feel sorry for the man- public humiliation at its finest

Taryn Kincaid said...

Wonderful! I love Southern fiction. Great six. (I want to read all of it.)

Cate Masters said...

Great opener! No, Tom Petty ain't right? Say it ain't so. :)

Sarah Grimm said...

I absolutely love the opening line! I want to read this!

~Sarah

Patricia Preston said...

Glad everyone has enjoyed Richie (the narrator) and Tommy Ray. Next week, I'll bring in Darlene, who is the "other woman".

JoAnne Kenrick said...

nice descriptions..now I'm REALLy glad I picked up a copy of Almost and Outlaw :) WOOT

Viviane Brentanos said...

I love the first line.

Ella Drake said...

This is great! Love the voice, love the lines, love the scene!

Sandra Sookoo said...

adore the opening line. Want more now!

Roseanne Dowell said...

Sounds like a great story. I'd like to read more

Keri Ford said...

LOL the humor on this is so fun!

Chrystalla Thoma said...

Oh no, I can see a huge explosion coming... Great snippet!

Donna said...

You KNOW I can't write!!Hahahaa....but I WANT this Book! Another good one!!!
Happy week friend!
hughugs

Reina said...

Fantastic! Looking forward to reading the rest! :)

Vanessa said...

THAT was AWESOME! Totally get a feel for your characters, and I definitely want to read more.

Jessica Subject said...

That is an awesome opening! Definitely makes me want to read more.

Rebecca Royce said...

It brought the characters right out to me!

Lisa Fox said...

That is an EXCELLENT opening. Wow!

Lauri J Owen said...

LOL! Great six!

Patricia Preston said...

I love 6 Sentence Sunday and thanks to everyone for the great response so far. I need to finish this story!

Laurie A. Green said...

Love this! Great touches of humor and wonderful period details in this snippet. Love the hero/narrator's voice. (And yours.) Hope you'll post more.

Susanna Fraser said...

Wonderful! The last line made me laugh out loud.

Casi said...

I love the last line.

I do like the idea of it though, but the beginning and the end seem like it's not quite unified.

Christine said...

I love this -- the narrator's voice is wonderful.

Laura Kaye said...

Great opening! Humor shines through from start to finish!

Miranda Buchanan said...

OMG! I LOVE this! Really great post. I'd totally keep reading. I hope you post more of this!

Alanna Coca said...

Hah! Love it. Very nice six Patricia.

Pippa Jay said...

Great opening line!

Jayel Kaye said...

terrific opening