Saturday, March 12, 2011

Six-Sentence Sunday: Back by Popular Demand, Richie and Tommy Ray

I decided to bring back Richie (the narrator) and Tommy Ray from my short story, Laid To Rest, set in the 50's in Mississippi. They are in the process of trying to steal gas out of the mayor's Cadillac while he is visiting the town prostitute, Darlene. (During sex with Darlene, the mayor has passed away)

(The photo from O Brother is my inspiration for Richie and Tommy Ray.)

Tommy Ray spit out the hose and said, “Ain’t no gas in there.”

“Hell, there’s gotta be gas in the mayor’s car.”

All the sudden, Darlene Higginbottom bolted out her front door and into the yard. In a shiny red robe, Darlene commenced to calling on God while waving her arms in the air and Tommy Ray said that was how Aunt Lula Mae acted when she got the Holy Ghost one Sunday night.

I ducked behind the Caddy's big fins and I figured Tommy Ray had enough sense to hide, too. I shoulda known better.

Go to Six Sentence Sunday: http://www.sixsunday.blogspot.com/
This a link to the first snippet: http://bit.ly/ff8EsT 

26 comments:

Donna said...

Hahahaaa....I love Darlene!
Happy Sunday to you sweet friend...
hughugs

Stacey Kennedy said...

Gotta say, I LOVE the cover for Almost an Outlaw--and what a title! WOW!! Nice snippet too!! :)

Oh...and nice to meet you!

graylinfox said...

LOL The type of southern story telling I grew up with. Lovely.

Taryn Kincaid said...

Great voice. I want to read this short. The whole thing. Love everything about it. Reminds me of Larry McMurtry's writing.

Patricia Preston said...

So glad everyone is getting a kick outta Tommy Ray, Richie and Darlene.

Sarah Grimm said...

'shoulda known better.' ROFL!

Susanna Fraser said...

Love the description!

Vivien Jackson said...

The voice here is awesome. I know people who talk that way, and I'm sure that's what their thinking sounds like, too. Character voice can sell me a book, and the one you have going on here has worked like a charm. Is this available, or still WiP?

Patricia Preston said...

Viven, it is still a work in progress. I am planning on entering it in some contests. I love writing Southern fiction. I won the William Faulkner Award for Short Fiction a few years ago. I plan to post some snippets from that story.

Ella Drake said...

I simply love the voice in this story and would love to read it when you're done.

Eleri Stone said...

Love this. Voice. Story. Everything about it.

Roberta Walker said...

Great voice!

Marigold Lott said...

Well, you found your voice. It's here. ABSOLUTELY!

Cate Masters said...

I agree, the voice comes through perfectly clear. Love these six.

Hailey Edwards said...

Great voice in this piece. It sounds like this book would be hella fun reading. ;)

Arlene said...

Yes, you have the southern guy's voice down wonderful here. I love the movie, O Brother Where Arent thou, and based on this snippet defintely want to read more.

Lisa Fox said...

Lol! I love it! And the voice is really excellent!

Jessica K said...

Flawless voice, delightful images! Thanks for posting!

Lindsay said...

Love your southern voice.

J.Rose Allister said...

Oh, lordy! What imagery this invokes. Great six. :)

Jayel Kaye said...

Good God. It's my family!

Reina said...

Love it! :) More, please!

Patricia Preston said...

Jayel: That is way too funny!

Pat said...

You have to write this story! Can't wait for next week's six.

Pippa Jay said...

These two make me laugh!

Keri Ford said...

LOL the narrator's voice on this is just fantastic!