Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Mardi Gras King Cake

Since it is Mardi Gras season and I'm working on a book set in old New Orleans, I will share the story of King Cake. The tradition of the king cake in New Orleans dates back to its earliest French settlers. The king cake was baked weekly between the Twelfth Night in January and Ash Wednesday. The cake was shaped into an oval to resemble a crown and covered with candied fruit and decorations. The modern-day King Cake is decorated with traditional King of Mardi Gras colors: green for faith, gold for power and purple for justice.

A bean or tiny china doll (representing the baby Jesus) was baked into the cake. After the cake was ready, a king cake party was held. When the cake was served, the person who received the slice with the doll became king or queen for that week and they had to provide a king cake for the party the following week and another king or queen was crowned for the week. This lasted until Lent. This tradition became a custom in many families and businesses as a way to celebrate the coming of Lent.

Below is a short video on the making of a King Cake.

5 comments:

Taryn Kincaid said...

I love it!

BECKY said...

Hi Patricia! You're our newest follower on Saturday Writers blog. I wanted to stop by and say hello and thanks! If you have time, please check out my personal blog, too. And Wow! I never knew all that about the King Cakes before! Thanks for all the info!

Patricia Preston said...

Hi! Taryn and Becky. Glad you enjoyed the post. I had never heard of King Cake before either.

Becky, I went over to your blog and followed. It looks like a terrific site.

Donna said...

Hahaaa....I made a King Cake....ONCE. Everyone ate the cake but NO Babydoll was found...Hahaaaa.
I waited Days to find out who was the lucky person was but no one would admit to having eaten it! That was the end of my experimenting!
Happy day friend!!
hughugs

Reina said...

I had no idea it was a weekly thing. Interesting. That's a lot of cake!