Sunday, January 16, 2011

Guest Blogger: Inez Kelley

Dear Guy In Safeway,
I know you don’t know me. You probably don’t even remember me but trust me, I remember you.
 It was 1989, midsummer about 6:30 PM. My BFF and I had spent the day cleaning a house where the tenants had been evicted. It was disgusting, filthy and smelly. Our red, chapped hands ached, a layer of grime coated us both and we were starving. But we’d been paid a buttload of cash, under the table, and whoohooo, we were planning a chick-flick feast.
Both of us were on the heels of nasty break-ups and men were lower than snake-smega to us at that minute.  She had the movie rentals, I had a basket full of snacks and there was liquor in the car. We were just waiting on YOU. You were ahead of us in line. Please, don’t think we minded for a minute because we most certainly did not.
God smiled on us and in front of you was an old man counting coins and using sixty coupons. It gave you the time to flip through a magazine from the rack and time to us to simple look at you. You only had one purchase – BACTINE.  You were a cyclist judging by the helmet hanging from your hand and apparently had taken a spill and scraped your lower leg. Such a sin to mar that luscious limb.
Both she and I stared in unabashed delight while you merely stood there, turning  a page now and then. Never before, and frankly never since, have I ever seen pure manly perfection live and in person. You were sweaty, the artificial store air drying the dark hair along your forehead, but your tee shirt clung to your chest and back in the most beautiful manner. There was dirt on your thigh and, oh my, didn’t I wish I was brave enough to offer to dust it off for you.
You were rugged and sculpted and real. Not perfect, no, that would be overkill. You wore glasses. Cute masculine frames that magnified your blue eyes. Yes, I remember the color and that you had the beginnings of those lines women call crow’s feet. On you, they hinted at laughter, like you smiled a lot. I wondered what you looked like when you smiled.
Mr. Pennies finished his transaction and you put the magazine back. Then you smiled at the clerk and I nearly fainted. Before you were storybook handsome. That smile transformed you into God-like magnificence.
I was not the only one affected. The clerk had to blink twice before ringing you up. You shrugged and admitted you had already opened and used the spray on your leg scrape. The naughty-boy tone in your voice was filled with a tease and my toes curled. You pulled a five-dollar bill from a hidden pocket in your shorts to pay but the total was $5.06.
You turned and asked if I had an extra six cents. I did and gladly gave you a penny and a nickel. The “thank you” you murmured was more decadent than chocolate. You took your purchase and walked away. My best friend, the store clerk and I watched you walk out and the rear view was just as nice as the front.  Then you dropped the receipt the clerk had given you. You bent over to grab it and the clerk literally fanned her face with her hand. It was that good.
Safeway Guy, I have no idea what your name was or who you are but I’ll give credit where credit is due. You planted the seeds for the man who would become John Murphy in SWEET AS SIN. I couldn’t help but see YOU as I wrote his story.
I’m sorry you fell and got hurt but thanks from the bottom of my panties for the visual that spawned a story.
Sincerely,
The spare six-cent girl,
Inez
SWEET AS SIN
She was made for sin. Sin was something he knew intimately.
John Murphy is tormented by nightmares. A bestselling young-adult author, he writes the ultimate fantasy: stories where good always triumphs. He knows better. His past has shown him the worst in people—and in himself. When he moves next door to the sexy, vibrant Livvy—a woman completely unlike his usual one-night stands—he’s driven to explore every curve of her delicious body.
Pastry chef Livvy knows that giving in to the temptation that is John Murphy won’t lead to anything permanent, but she deserves a passionate summer fling. John discovers she’s as sweet as the confections she bakes while Livvy slowly unravels his secrets. But what will happen when she uncovers them all?
Inez Kelley is a multi-published author of various romance genres. You can visit her at her website http://inezkelley.com/  Follow Inez on twitter at @Inez_Kelley or on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/inez.kelley


13 comments:

Jenny Schwartz said...

Inez, that story made me smile and sigh. Don't we all have memories of moments of pure (or not so pure!) appreciation. Once seen, but never forgotten.

Well worth six cents :)

Katherine Bone said...

Wow, Inez! I felt like I was looking at him too. Youza! I'm fanning my face now...

So glad you could join Patricia's blog today. Wishing you the very best with SWEET AS SIN. ;)

Taryn Kincaid said...

Inspiration everywhere! More decadent than chocolate. Oh. My. God. YUM!

Keri Ford said...

wow. I got my 6cents. where do I get in line?

Heather said...

Inez, I loved your story and I can totally see him as John. I have started Sweet as Sin for review for NetGalley and am loving it.

Ella Drake said...

*fans self*
Got lost there for a minute.

Teresa D'Amario said...

Uh Huh. Phew. That was hot!

Selena Illyria said...

Wow! I love that story. I could almost see it happening. It makes me want to read the book even more. :-)

Carrie Lofty said...

Fab :)

Patricia Preston said...

Inez, What a terrific post! You've got everyone excited.

Bratty said...

I love it! Gotta love a sexy cyclist... Has Kim seen this?

Kimberly Menozzi said...

A cyclist (in every-day wear, from the sound of it), who wears glasses. Dark hair. Crinkles in the corners of his eyes. Ahhh.... Yep. That's every button pushed. Well done!

I'm telling y'all - cyclists are delish! ;)

La-Tessa said...

LOL Inez, you sure can tell a story lady. :-)

Now, off to add "Sweet as Sin" to my purchase list. Because if Mr. Murphy is half as hawt as Mr. Safeway Guy, then this is a story I needs to be reading, and quick!