Thursday, December 16, 2010

An Interview with Kim Smith


Thank you for this interview, Kim. Can you tell us a little about yourself and how long you’ve been writing?

A: I have been writing since the early nineties, but not seriously until the last five or so years. I love to craft stories of all kinds, and I am a photographer/videographer as well. I think creative people find a lot of ways of expressing themselves.

Do you write full-time?

A: I don’t write full-time, and really wish that I could. I hope maybe when my children are all out of college, then my writing full-time desire will be fulfilled.

You’ve met an old friend from high school and you want to pitch the romance, A WILL TO LOVE to him/her in five minutes or less. What would you say?

A: It’s about a man who lost his wife to cancer and now has to run their bed and breakfast all alone. He thinks he will never love again until a fiery Irish woman who is a famous writer comes to stay at The Inn.

Who was your intended audience for this book? Have you been able to crossover into other audiences as well?

A: My intended audience would be mostly women although men have read it and loved it as well. Of course, crossing over would be awesome too!

Why did you choose your particular genre?

A: I have loved reading romances since I was a young teenager reading Harlequins and I guess I have never stopped thinking that I could write one as well.

Do you ever experience self-doubts with your work?

A: Oh yes. I have self-doubt about every four pages. It’s irritating, too! But when the doubt monster comes out, I beat him into shape by writing free-style for a few minutes. Sometimes self-doubt is nothing more than lack of a handle on the story and where it is going.

Where do you write? Do you have a favorite place?

A: I usually am sitting in my living room with the television on, and with all the lights on.

What kind of research did you have to do during the writing process?

A: It’s funny but this time around I did very little research. I knew of the bed and breakfast I wanted to pattern the story after, and I knew its history. I love it when I have all the tools with which to write a story!

Who is your publisher and how did you get accepted by them? Did you pitch your book yourself or go through an agent?

A: I am published by Red Rose Publishing and Moongypsy Press. The way I got published is a long story, but in a word, it’s good to know people. You never know when your online contacts will turn into an opportunity.

How are you promoting your books thus far?

A: I post everywhere all manner of things about the book, but the biggest bit of promotion I have done is a blog tour through Pump Up Your Book Promotions with Dorothy Thompson. DT is the nicest lady and the best promoter in the industry.

If you could give one book promotion tip to new authors, what would that be?

A: Don’t be afraid to open your mouth and tell people about your work!

What’s next for you?

A: I will soon have another YA and the next book in the mystery series.

Thank you for this interview, Kim. Can you tell us where we can find you on the web?

A: Yes, my website is: http://www.mkimsmith.com and my blog is http://writingspace.blogspot.com and I hang out on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/mkimsmith and Twitter
http://twitter.com/mkimsmith

BIO:
Kim Smith is a forty something author of mysteries and romance. She lives in the Mid South region of the US with her hubby and Chia Pom Tinkerbell. She is currently working on the next in her mystery series and a fantasy YA.

3 comments:

Cindy said...

Excellent interview...qreat questions. I'm a sucker for a spot-on GREAT love story with emotional ropes to tie the reader to the characters. This one sounds like it'll certainly fill that bill.

Cindy Nord
www.cindynord.com

D'Ann said...

Sounds like a great read!

Patricia Preston said...

I love bread and breakfast inns!