Thursday, December 30, 2010

Guest Blogger: Author Susan Hatler


It’s so fun to be here on Patricia’s blog—waving hello, Patricia and everyone!

As the New Year approaches, it’s natural to reflect on life, and it feels great to know that I’m doing what I love. Spending time with friends and family and, of course, being a writer….

10 Things I love about being a writer:
• 1. Thinking is working.
• 2. Watching movies is working.
• 3. Reading is working.
• 4. Making things up is working.
• 5. Hanging w/writers is working.
• 6. Commuting is two feet.
• 7. People-watching is research.
• 8. The dress code rocks (mainly sweats & slippers).
• 9. I can write anywhere (laptops travel).
• 10. The subjects to write about are endless.

I just got back from a mini Writing Retreat with two of my awesome writing buddies, Virna DePaul and Rochelle French. We typed, we bounced ideas off each other, and spent most of the two days in our sweatpants. Complete and total heaven. There’s just something about spending time with other writers. It’s like we’re all in tune and we just get each other. For example, when we met another writing friend, Poppy Reiffin, for dinner, at that lovely Italian restaurant in Walnut Creek? I zoned out in the middle of conversation.

Do they wave a hand in front of my face? Sprinkle some parmesan to get my attention? Oh, no. Rochelle just says to me, quietly, “You’re thinking about your story aren’t you?” Me? My characters chatting in my head in the middle of our pasta party? Uh, yes, actually. It’s so great to be understood.

In addition to getting a ton of writing done, Virna managed to whip together a trailer for my new contemporary romance short story that will be published in TMP’s Valentine’s Anthology next month. Here's the trailer:




Hope you have as much fun watching it as we did making it.

Patricia, thanks for having me here and letting me share some thoughts on writing. I’d love to come visit again. Until then….
Happy reading, happy writing, and an early HAPPY NEW YEAR to all!

18 comments:

Pat said...

Great post! It reminded me of why I love being a writer and hanging with writer friends. And I love the the trailer. Must find the anthology!

Patricia Preston said...

Thanks Susan for blogging today! I am so ready for a new year!

Bobbye Terry said...

Susan,
Love the book trailer and also love the commraderie of writers. Isn't it great? Nice blog post.
Bobbye

Susan Hatler said...

Thanks, Pat. The Valentine's Anthology will be available by Feb 1st. The publisher's actually letting readers pick the cover! I'm rooting for #4. Here's the link if you'd like to check out the cover options and vote (they're welcoming cover critiques!): http://turquoisemorningpressblog.blogspot.com/2010/12/hello-readers-we-have-dilemma-tmp-will.html

Susan Hatler said...

I know what you mean, Patricia. Bring it on, 2011!

Susan Hatler said...

Bobbye...thx, fellow Valentine's Anthology author! Hugs!

Paisley Kirkpatrick said...

Waving, Susan. You are so right about all of the reasons it is good to be a writer. One more you might sneak in - you get to have have photos of Gerry Butler in your office and can tell your hubby it is for research. ;)

Susan Hatler said...

ROFLOL on Gerard Butler, Paisley. You know the pic of the hot guy in my short story trailer? My hubby joked that I should've used a photo of him instead hehe. It's all in the name of writing, of course. Hugs!

Virna DePaul said...

I loved reading your top ten list. The friends I've made certainly are in my top ten. It's so nice to be around people who get each other! Can't wait to hold your books in my hands!

Ann said...

Nice blog, Susan. LOVED the trailer!

Katherine Bone said...

I'm so glad you blogged with Patricia today, Susan! I absolutely love your top 10 list. May I copy it and keep it for my own personal use? ;)

Gerard Butler is a must for any romance writer! He's on my #1 list.

Your trailer is adorable and I'm certainly rooting for #4 cover too. Wishing you the best of success with your short story and throughout 2011. :D

Nancy Naigle said...

Can't wait to read your story!

Suzanne Pitner said...

Wonderful blog post, Susan. The book trailer is also fantastic. I'd buy the book just because the dog in the video is so darn cute.

Angela Breidenbach said...

I just have to say you nailed it, Susan :)
Angie Breidenbach

tonya kappes said...

Hi Susan. Sorry I'm late to the party. Your top ten list is fun. I love writing retreats. I had one with critique partners Heather Webber, Jane Porter, and Kathy Liggett in November-we bounced ideas off each other and worked on our business plan along with new proposals for our agents and publishers. It was great. It brings us together as a group even though we all don't live by each other. We do have a retreat a couple times a year and it's been the best part about writing.

Rochelle French said...

Susan, great post! I absolutely loved spending time with you and Virna -- awesome people, awesome writers. I agree with your Top Ten list, and can add one of my favorites: I get paid to sit on my couch, a purring cat on my lap, and dream!

Rochelle French

Susan Hatler said...

Virna...thx! Yours as well...LOVE the guy on your cover--ooh, baby.

Ann...thank you. So happy my crit partner has many talents. :)

Katherine...Thank you and YES. I'm sure together we could easily make a top 100.

Susan Hatler said...

Nancy...Yours, too. Go V-day Anthology!

Angie...You are too sweet, thx! And my mil is loving your cookbook. :)

Tonya...Fashionably late, of course. Sounds like a VERY productive and fun retreat. Crit partners rock!

Rochelle...We could SO make a book out of the awesome reasons for being a writer.