Monday, November 15, 2010

The War of Art by Steven Pressfield

"The amateur believes he must first overcome his fear; then he can do his work. The professional knows that fear can never be overcome. He knows there is no such thing as a fearless warrior or a dread-free artist."

From The War of Art: Break Through the Blocks and Win Your Inner Creative Battles is written by the author of Bagger Vance, Steven Pressfield. It is a small book with simple one paragraph to one page chapters on the creative process and how to overcome "Resistance", which is the force inside us that prevents us from accomplishing our "work". Pressfield compares the amateur to the professional by their reaction to Resistance.

It is a wonderful little book that is very inspirational. With its stand-alone chapters, you can open it up on any page and read. It offers great insight on how we resist doing our work and how easily we find excuses for doing so. I've used many of the ones he mentions. I keep this book handy, much like a devotional. Many times I pick it up and read a couple of pages for encouragement, especially if Resistance has me in its grip.

I must say this little book has never failed me.

1 comment:

Pat said...

Great post! I know I resist finding the time to write...letting anything and everything get in the way. I'll pick up Steven Pressfield's book this week.