Thursday, July 8, 2010

The Beauty Shop


Back a few generations ago, there were three occupations available to women in Southern communities. Teacher, nurse or beautician. Officially, a beautician was a cosmetologist but she was always known as a "beautician". She went to "Beauty School" to become a beautician. After completing her training, she took the state license exam and if she passed, she was a beautician. I would say 75 percent of the beauticians in this area worked (and still do) in the small shops they built beside their homes. You can drive through any rural area and you will pass a house with a shop and a small sign at the end of the drive indicating that a beauty shop is located there. Actually, the sign isn't necessary. All the ladies in the immediate area know of its location. Many are regular customers and all beauticians have heard more than their share of gossip. The elderly hoard the place on Saturday, having their hair done in the same style they've worn since 1960, because it is tradition to have your hair done for church on Sunday.

I go to such a shop myself. I have never gone to a glitzy hair salon. Instead, I prefer the unpretentious little shop, belonging to an old friend. I've been a regular hair-cut customer for over 20 years now. My beautician is a country girl, who loves plants and anything to do with gardening. I love going in the summer when all her flowers are in bloom. And the inside of the small shop reflects the same garden atmosphere. With sunny walls, frogs, turtles, birds, and flowers welcome her customers. It may not be glitzy but it is a gem of a shop where I never have to wait and the price is great. God bless Southern beauticians.


4 comments:

Donna said...

We must have hair on the brain today!Hahaa
I Finally found a good one Myself!
Happy weekend Sweetie!
hughugs

Mary said...

FUN Post! It reminded me of my mother... she has been going her beautician for years too!

Carla Swafford said...

Yes, God Bless them indeed. My mom was one of those ladies. Her salon was in her home (a double garage converted).

Janie said...

Great post! My aunt owned a beauty shop. But you forgot sewing. Women who sewed could make a living, too.