Saturday, July 18, 2009

A Midsummer's Day on the Natchez Trace


I took a road trip today to Alabama via the Natchez Trace Parkway. What can I say except it was such a beautiful day and summer is in its full glory along the Trace. The fields of corn and soybeans bordering some stretches of the Trace are oceans of green amid rolling hills and forests. In places the trees bordering the Trace are so thick, I drove in shade and the Tennessee river was a vivid blue today. I love driving the Trace. I love the lack of all things commercial. I love driving in the shade provided by thick groves of huge old trees. I find it very calming. There's not much traffic on the Trace. The speed limit is only 50. Much too slow for those who are busy rushing through life to take a moment to actually enjoy nature's presentation of a summer day. However, summer will start to fade in a few weeks and I wanted to get a look at the lush shades of greens against the blue sky. I'm grateful I took the opportunity to do that. I'm also grateful that someone a long time ago decided we should have a national park serivce and places like the Natchez Trace Parkway should be preserved.

4 comments:

gypsyscarlett said...

Just looking at that picture is relaxing. :)

jennareynolds said...

Lovely pic. I could use a trip like that. Just to get away.

Donna said...

Sounds wonderful! You should see Our corn fields...geez! Burnt...hughugs

Rene said...

What a lovely road. Certainly don't blame you for your attachment to the road. We take Pacific Coast Highway for the same reason. Takes us twice as long to get north, but it is such a gorgeous drive.