Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Finally the Phantom Rose Sees Print

This has been a long time coming. I wrote this story one summer weekend in 2004 and I loved every minute of writing it. Sometimes I don't love every minute of writing a story. I submitted about a week or so after writing it and the editor at Arabella magazine immediately bought it. In fact, she called me and told she knew before she ever finished it, she was going to buy it. That was one of those moments as a writer that you don't forget.

However, it was not in the stars for the Phantom Rose to get published nor for me to get paid. It was slated for publication in the fall of 2004 but the magazine folded before then. After that, the story languished in my computer until 2007. Then, I heard about a new magazine called New Love Stories, that took romances with historical settings and I have never been shy about submitting. So I dusted off the Phantom Rose and sent it off. By the way, the Phantom Rose is the name of my heroine's pirate frigate. Months went by. I practically forgot I had submitted it. In June 2008, I was contacted by the editor about buying the story. I signed the contract and waited to hear when it would be published. Months went by. I figured it would suffer the same fate as it did with Arabella, especially with the recession in full swing. I'm happy to say that didn't happen.

Today I got two copies of the magazine in the mail and a check! Yay!! I was very pleased about that. Also I really loved the illustration they used. The cards and the gun plays into the beginning of the story. I've had other stories illustrated but this is my favorite. It could be because it is not a photo of people who don't look anything like the characters. LOL! Also I noticed they did not change my character's names, which I'm happy about. One time I had an editor change my character's names for whatever reason and she gave the hero one of ex-husbands' name! I nearly croaked! Yes, I have been married a few times but that's another story....

9 comments:

Bonnie Ferguson said...

Congratulations! :)

Carla Swafford said...

Such good news. Another plus to place on your query letters.

Mary said...

Congratulations!!!! I'm going to Borders to pick up my copy!!

Donna said...

Look At You Go!!!!Hahaa...CONGRATULATIONS!!! Where IS It??? I'll look for that magazine here at BooksAMillion!! I'm thrilled for you sweetheart!!!hughughugs

Trisha said...

Donna: I was told by another writer that Borders carried the magazine. This was in California.
I looked at Barnes and Noble today and they don't have it. I haven't been to Books A Million, but at our local Bookland, they didn't have it but then they don't carry a lot of magazine.

Thanks everyone for the pat-on-the back!!

gypsyscarlett said...

That's so great about your story finding a home after so long. Patience definitely is the virtue writers need.

I did have to laugh at the ex-husband thing. Of all the names in all the world....

Donna said...

I FOUND IT AT Books A Million! I just walked in, went to the magazine rack (entertainment) section...And there it Was!! At least I Hoped it was...Thumbing through it, it was on pg 8!! I'm posting about you on my blog today!! Nothing revealing though!
I'm So proud of you!!hughugs

jennareynolds said...

Congrats, Tricia! That's fantastic! Whoo hoo!

Sally said...

I'm always happy to hear success stories; congratulations!! :)