Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Graveyard Train

I like to write to music, especially when I start a new project and I am free-handing. That's my term for being kicked back in the recliner with a sketch pad in hand. I jot down names, descriptions, plot ideas, snippets of dialogue. I need music to accompany the little movie in my mind.

So, last night, I was thinking about Laid To Rest and wondering what kind of music would go with Richie and Tommy Ray, two small-time crooks. What music would suit them and this story? Creedence Clearwater Revival. The big plus to having Rhapsody Music Service is all the playlists you can create. I usually make several for one story. So, I picked out a bunch of CCR's old hits. Some of them I hadn't heard in years but they are still as good ever and the perfect music for this dark comedy. Especially Bad Moon Rising and Graveyard Train.

As Looking Out My Back Door played, the words flowed. Page after page of notes and discoveries. Still no true plot. Yet. But, I'm sure with Born on the Bayou, Run Through the Jungle, and, my all time favorite, Lodi, the plot will come to light.

5 comments:

gypsyscarlett said...

CCR is a great band.

So happy that you got so many ideas jotted down. I love starting new stories. The wonderful feeling of promise, when everything is fresh and new.

Kelly Boyce said...

I rarely ever set music to my manuscript. I don't know why? Probably because I can't write when its playing - too distracting! ;)

Mary said...

I can't write with music playing either. I find I'm more productive in silence. The dead of night is always my favorite time to write... if I have my second wind.

Donna said...

Now I have to go dig out my old records...Hahaa...hughugs

Nita Jo said...

Love CCR! I hadn't thought of using music as I'm writing. I love to write, but am rather undisciplined. I use my blog to get my writing urges out. Have only tried for publication once... many, many years ago. It was unsuccessful, life got busy, and I just never got back to it.

I found you through Donna at "Made in Heaven" blog. I'm hoping that reading about your writing journey will inspire me to get busy with mine again. Even if it doesn't, I am really enjoying reading yours!